Garmin GTM 12

Blue Sweeper

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Has anyone got the GTM 12 traffic receiver and is using it with a Zumo 660?

Is it any good, do you have to subscribe to the Traffic Master service to use it?

use mine in the car :thumb
it works ;)
hunt around as priced vary widely.

I have a GTM10 that came with my StreetPilot 2720, used in the car for a while but it's back in the box now. Pretty useless on a bike unless you don't do filtering IMHO.

Has anyone got the GTM 12 traffic receiver and is using it with a Zumo 660?

Is it any good, do you have to subscribe to the Traffic Master service to use it?

No but I am using the GTM 21 power cable / TMC receiver which came with my nüvi 760 plugged into a Zumo 660 car mount into which I slot my Navigator IV.

It's interesting that fitted to the Nav IV, it offers a greater range of functions than it does with the nüvi, ie if you press the green traffic icon on the screen, you can scroll through roads in the vicinity and get traffic reports on them.

Whether the traffic receiver is any good depends on both vehicle and area. The system warns of jams OK but on a bike it's almost always easier to filter through it than take the alternative

In a car I found it useful on a couple of occasions when it routed me to nearby A roads when there was 20 + miles of stationery traffic on my motorway route but when I was truck driving in London and the South East a couple of years back I gave up using it. The problem was that in attempts to navigate away from one jam it simply routed you into another. - so it then tried to reroute again - and again - and again.

The problem is, I think, that it works OK when one road has a big problem and there is a nice simple clear alternative with free flowing traffic. Unfortunately, in the UK, that is rarely the case. Even if there is a practical alternative that will have its own heavy traffic plus all the stuff from the jam.

My traffic receiver is now sitting in a cupboard somewhere among the other good ideas that don't really work.

I use it with my 660 in both the car and on the bike.

OK on the bike it's less useful, but if it warns you a junction early that the M25 is totally closed due to a major RTA and you are stuck there for four hours as the Police will not let you filter through pass the dead bodies, go figure for about £25, what's your time worth ... :augie

Back
Top Bottom