Grand Canyon and Flagstaff

Ollie GBR

Reaction score
I hired a 2010 GS in Scottsdale for the weekend and headed North to the Grand Canyon.
I had no route planned and only two days to explore.
Before I attach some pictures, I wanted to make a some notes on the 2010 bike vs my own 2008 model.

-I did a lot of off roading, the bike was much better at the low down torque, I was able to keep in 3rd most of the time.
-the adventure screen addition to the GS is well worth it, (along with the winglets)
-The plastic pannier systems will not fall off when off-roading, I went over some pretty aggressive terrain, with the bike bottoming out many times and the panniers stayed put - I was impressed, (I have the adventure panniers on my current bike).
-The gear change is very clunky on a new bike, I never realised how much until riding a new one - (3000 miles on the clock), mine has 13000 and is much smoother.
-ESA is truly brillant, it's not until you don't have it that you miss it. I was only able to change the pre-load and between differing levels of off road and road stuff this was difficult to get right. I missed my ESA.
- Riding without a helment isn't comfortable - there's no compulsory law in Arizona to wear a helmet. I tried it whilst in Scottsdale, once you gt over the freedom feeling there's the wind noise to consider, the blistering face and the worry of accident without helmet protection. You also realise just how noisy that gear change is!!
-The Tourance tyres are very good off road.
-I want spoked wheels on my GS
-having a Garmin mounted on the handle bars is nuts, it's in the way. Having the adventure screen allows you to mount it on the supporting bar.
-Bring a tool kit, I knocked the wing mirrors off and had nothing to adjust the handle bars for comfort when standing on the pegs for so long.
-The sergeant seat is worth it's weight in gold - yes I took my own seat with me - 14 hour days with no trouble.
-I only ever saw one other GS, he just so happened to be off-road too!
-The gearing appeared to be different, not sure if this was down to the extra torque or the American market?

I'll add the pictures in the next post

Ollie

Ollie

Looking forward to the pics but you will be better off posting in the Ride Report section where a lot more people will see them:thumb

Back
Top Bottom