Testing a 950 Adventure - what to look out for?

the_laughing_mole

Reaction score
Been on the look for a KTM Adventure for a while and tried a number of 990s - liked them, but even the 2009/10 model FI is a little jerky at times. Have seen a nice looking 2006 model 950 - apparently nice carb smoothness.... Test riding it tomorrow.

It has FSH, gel seat, crash bars and looks very clean.

Would appreciate the insight of the experts on here - :bow - what should I be looking out for?

There is a great deal of info on ADV RIDER. the orange crush section.well worth a look.
Its a bonus if the bike has after market cans,akroprovics,they save a huge amount of weight and don.t get so hot either.

The spokes and brake discs can be a weak area for corrosion if not cleaned properly.
If they are ridden hard wich is easy to do they can be sore on chains/sprockets.
The brakes will need a bit more of a pull than many other bikes .The back especially ,its not weak but just not severe.

Saying all this ,its mostly what i have read.My own 950 is spot on and i,m sure you will prefer it to the 990.

Thanks Doyle - yes I have been on Orange Crush a number of times and have learnt a lot there.

Is the seat height - on a 950 2006 - the same as a 990? They are higher than my 1150GS - may look at the lower seat option.

what to look out for?

Corners approaching much faster than you are used to :D

I have a feeling the 950 has a higher seat height than the 990. I have a ktm gel seat on mine ,i am 6ft and you wouldn't really want it much higher.I have not ridden mine yet with the standard seat ,so not sure if it might be lower.

One thing ,on all the ones i've looked at or ridden ,the centre stands do not seem to just flip right up.there always seems to be a bit of resistence.

Hi, just saw your post. I recently changed to a 950 Adv having has numerous BMW's over the last 10 years, everything from 650s to most recently 1200GS SE and I have to say Im loving the KTM. Mine is a low mileage 2006 model with the gel seat (amongst other extras) and which has been very well looked after by the previous (and only other) owner. I too found the 990 very rough/jerky at low speeds whereas there is none of that with the 950. Around the lanes it really has that grin factor I seemed to have lost riding the GS and feels so much smaller and lighter. Also i shouldnt worry about the seat height, Im only 5'9 with 30 inch inside leg and can get both feet down, worst case you can drop the forks thru the yokes and inch or so, which I have seen done and doesnt seem to affect the handling too much. In summary and my advice is - go for it, you wont regret it!

Brilliant bike, another regret of mine selling it to fund my GS. Loads more fun factor than the GS, 950 most defiantly forget the new 990, there also good to work on. Only thing I found was it wasn't very comfy when touring but then neither is the GS as standard.

Thanks for all your comments - confirmed my thoughts - bought an excellent condition 2006 model 950 Adv last Thursday - with gel seat, engine bars and getting panniers fitted. Pick it up Saturday week :bounce1:bounce1

Looking forward to riding it when I finally get rid of my sling from my broken shoulder :(:( (nope, not a bike accident - fell off a ladder...... from the roof....onto my patio :eek:) Lucky it wasn't my head :eek

So riding my new 950 will be my incentive to getting back in one piece soon!

You can use the XC-1 diagnostic box to adjust the fuelling on 990s 09 bikes and later models. Mine is a 08 bike but so it doesn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom