Advice on route Varna (Black Sea) to Istanbul please

E. Buygum

Reaction score
Hi folks. Am currently in Budapest and will be heading down the Black Sea through Romania/ Bulgaria in a few days. I have tried for a route from my Garmin for Varna in Bulgaria-Istanbul and it seems to be taking me on a massive detour West for no particular reason (further west than Edirne, in fact). Whatever waypoints I stick in, it insists on going west. I thought I would just follow the Black Sea down and then turn left. Does it know something I don't or is is just acting stupid? Any pointers gratefully received.

By the way, I have just become aware that there is serious flooding in Northern Hungary. Everything fine in Budapest but the Danube is very high.

I have posted a couple more photos on my blog at www.bikecrank.co.uk if anyone is interested.

Cheers

head for bucharest, constanta area (mangalia)head for golden sands (dont stop, too dear) then varna, then the coast road past camchea, obzor,sunny beach, bourgas etc, takes you to turky via a nice, good cond coastal road, (if your anywhere nr varna on the 12th, gimme a bell),
black sea down and turn left is correct , id say,
either that, or in at zagreb area, ferry over the danube, head for sophia,then varna etc, (excellant roads)
theres another way but cant guarantee the roads,,,
good camping here http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/romania/camping-international-117102/ if you end up near it

Thanks, D6, thought I was going mad there for a minute. I seem to have got some sort of sense out of Mapsource by defining 2 routes: the first to Kirklareli (which tracks your directions through Burgas) and the second Kirklareli to Istanbul. (Oddly, if I just add Kirklareli as a Viapoint, it doesn't work). I should be passing through Varna on Saturday although I will be on a bit of a mission as I'm hoping to get from North East Bulgaria to Istanbul in a day. I'll confirm later in the week as staying flexible.

Camping link very useful. I was going to camp here but it's so bleedin' hot! Mustn't grumble.

Cheers
Dave

Back
Top Bottom