Mapsource wanted

Roger Chatterton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
Finally bit the bullet and gave up with Garmin's RoadTrip, and the unfinished BaseCamp software on the Mac. I have installed Parallels and XP Home Edition, and was expecting to be able to download Mapsource and maybe even BaseCamp for the PC ( which is a lot better on the PC version than the Mac version by the way !).

But , of course, it's not that easy ( it's PC's we're talking here !); you have to have a previous installation of MapSource installed - I don't have a version of MapSource, as it didn't come with my Zumo 660. I have the European Maps 2010 CD, but have checked, and it's not on there.

My question is ..

a. anyone tell me how I can get a copy of Mapsource to install,

and

b. will it run with Windows XP Home Edition ? All versions on the Garmin Site seem to need at least version 3 or some such PC type thing. How many friggin' different versions are there of XP anyhow ? And why ? !!!!

Confused of Cambridge needs help - please. :JB

Send me a pm with your details and I'll get a copy to you FOC :thumb2

Dave H

Hi Dave,
many thanks for the offer, but desperation forced me to press onwards, and think I might now have cracked it ! Mapsource was loaded when I loaded my 2010 Maps into my "Virtual PC" , in Parallels. It is part of the map download and doesn't show anywhere on the Garmin DVD as a separate application.
I'm too used to Macs, but it seems to work OK -won't upgrade though !!

Anyhow , many thanks for the quick reply and offer.:thumb

Just to conclude my post, I can now state that MapSource, via Parallels on my Mac Mini, would seem to be working just fine.
Plotted a route down to the Wee Kend in Devon,trying to use minimum motorways, and it looks to be OK.

So, much as I still loath the Windoze environment, MapSource seems to work so much better than Base Camp (on the Mac), and Road Trip is a complete non starter.

When I had a "discussion" with the Garmin guy at the TTEch Weekend, he tried to explain to me that Garmin was very much a Hardware Company, and that software was really just an add - on ! :blast

Right, so now I understand ....a Garmin is just a box, and really doesn't use any software at all. Simples. :augie

Wot a pratt.....

Back
Top Bottom