PDA

View Full Version : Show a waypoint

stick
09-06-10, 06:16
Help if you can - I am doing a few routes thro France and as the routes are long and on small roads i want to put a waypoint marker that will show as i follow the routes a marker to use an alternative route ( ie as i approch a certain part of the route),as i have a group of riders who may become tired , problem is i have tried to experiment but the marker does not seen to come up as i follow the route , any ideas ?

Womble
09-06-10, 06:38
I'm not sure what GPS you're using, but if I wanted that sort of feature on my Zumo, I'd use a POI (point of interest). If you have sound rigged up, you can get an audio alert as well.

Taff
09-06-10, 08:18
Have you tried entering a "Via Point" ie a Waypoint that you pass through?

Certainly used to work on the SPIII and I'm pretty sure it works on the 2610 too. I don't use the speaker function on the bike now, but when I did I'm sure an audible alert would would say something like "Approaching Via Point in 1 mile" etc.

stick
09-06-10, 08:35
I'm not sure what GPS you're using, but if I wanted that sort of feature on my Zumo, I'd use a POI (point of interest). If you have sound rigged up, you can get an audio alert as well.

Thanks - the point i would like to mark would be a point along the route, say just before a turning so that i could decide whether to change route to an easier one , marking this point and showing it along the route is my problem (zumo 660)
Im so thick at techno stuff !!

Thanks

Bumpkin
09-06-10, 08:58
In Mapsource create a waypoint, I'd call it a custom POI myself. Click the little flag button in toolbar, drop that on the spot you require by left clicking. A dialogue will open giving you the option to name this point, change the symbol etc. Give it a short name such as 'route option 1'. Click OK. You can now zoom in and check it's in the right spot, if you need to move it select the arrow button, left click the waypoint then right click and then select 'move waypoint'.

Now with the arrow (selection tool) click your route so it's active, click again on a part or the route you want to run through your new waypoint and drag this to the waypoint until the name of the waypoint appears in a little box next to it, the release.

Your new custom waypoint is now part of your route and will get announced via audio ("route option 1 in 500 meters" etc) as you approach as well as distance to it given from the preceding waypoint/node on your screen (well it does on my SP2710, not sure about the display options re. this data on the 660).

Wapping
09-06-10, 09:23
Hi Stick,

How are your plans going?

As others have said, the definite way to do it is using personal Waypoints (the little green flag in Mapsource) which will then appears in Favourites on your GPS device. I don't particularly like Waypoints as, if you go off-route and by-pass the Waypoint somehow, the device will (if you have automatic recalculate turned on) keep bringing you backwards to go through it. That is not a fault of Garmin or Mapsource. The dumb device is only doing what you have told it to do ie. pass through an important pre-determind electronic point. I have recalculate turned off as a rule, but have retained the option (yes or no) to allow recalculation if I and not the device think it's worthwhile.

Anther and maybe easier method if you are struggling with Mapsource Waypoints is to simply end your route at the chosen spot. That will bring everyone in your group to the same point, without a doubt.

From that point create two alternative second legs:

1. The longer (or more difficult) stage

2. The alternative easier stage.

Give each an easy to remember name.

Then simply chose which second leg you want on the day. Repeat as necessary. Not least it helps to break up very long routes, aiding recalculation and loading etc.

Have a play with it, as you can't break it. Like PC's the devices are personal, with a capital P. What suits some people looks totally illogical to others.

:beerjug:

stick
10-06-10, 19:45
Hi Stick,

As others have said, the definite way to do it is using personal Waypoints (the little green flag in Mapsource) which will then appears in Favourites on your GPS device. I don't particularly like Waypoints as, if you go off-route and by-pass the Waypoint somehow, the device will (if you have automatic recalculate turned on) keep bringing you backwards to go through it. That is not a fault of Garmin or Mapsource. The dumb device is only doing what you have told it to do ie. pass through an important pre-determind electronic point. I have recalculate turned off as a rule, but have retained the option (yes or no) to allow recalculation if I and not the device think it's worthwhile.

Anther and maybe easier method if you are struggling with Mapsource Waypoints is to simply end your route at the chosen spot. That will bring everyone in your group to the same point, without a doubt.

Then simply chose which second leg you want on the day. Repeat as necessary. Not least it helps to break up very long routes, aiding recalculation and loading etc.

Have a play with it, as you can't break it. Like PC's the devices are personal, with a capital P. What suits some people looks totally illogical to others.

Hi Wapping all going great until i decided to upgrade to the 660 - tried to send all my routes ( 2008 mapping ) across to the new unit 2011 mapping ( old unit the truseted 550) and it was like a data grenade went off !!
Now got to redo all my routes !
Garmin been helpfull but i am no computer expert ( simple engineer) and completly lost , oh well will carry on re mapping , not a bad thing as looking at the maps is always a winner . I have studied that many now - dont need a bloody gps !!!!!!

Happy days :bounce1:roll:bounce1

stick
10-06-10, 19:47
Hi Stick,

In Mapsource create a waypoint, I'd call it a custom POI myself. Click the little flag button in toolbar, drop that on the spot you require by left clicking. A dialogue will open giving you the option to name this point, change the symbol etc. Give it a short name such as 'route option 1'. Click OK. You can now zoom in and check it's in the right spot, if you need to move it select the arrow button, left click the waypoint then right click and then select 'move waypoint'.

Now with the arrow (selection tool) click your route so it's active, click again on a part or the route you want to run through your new waypoint and drag this to the waypoint until the name of the waypoint appears in a little box next to it, the release.

Your new custom waypoint is now part of your route and will get announced via audio ("route option 1 in 500 meters" etc) as you approach as well as distance to it given from the preceding waypoint/node on your screen (well it does on my SP2710, not sure about the display options re. this data on the 660).

Thanks for your advice - i will give it a go - oer missus is that a good idea as turning the computer on is hard enough !!!!!:clap