thetford forest trail ride

andy malton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Myself (Andy Malton) and (Adam Akins) alias DR.ALF are organising a ride through Thetford Forest on the BOATS. This is a very easy route and very oilhead friendly. There are no big hills, no rivers or rocks just mainly hard dirt/sandy/grass tracks. It has been done with some oilheads 2up, so if youv'e been pondering on the idea of bit offroading on your bike, nows your chance, total off road mileage will be about 25miles. The date in mind is SUNDAY 3rd of November. So you have 4 weeks to get your application forms in to the missus/girlfriend/boyfriend to have your day out in the woods with us. The meeting points will be decided a bit nearer the date. Post your interest here please.
cheers Andy.

Top Stuff

I'm up for this too!

A great chance to pratice the skills learned on the BMW off-road skills course last weekend.

Keep us informed.

Jamie

thetford

Hi Steve,
hows things?regarding tyres for the thetford run the last time we done it,it had been raining for days and water was running off the fields but being very sandy up there it just drains away and none of us had nobblies infact I think we all had T66's for all our sins,like I said it's all mainly hard stuff, there are few puddles but you can even go round them if you want to, my bike did not even get dirty,but you will be ok on tourances,stay in touch.Andy

meeting points for thetford forest run

ok guys here the deal for those in the south of the region we will be meeting at MARK TEY TRANSPORT CAFE,thats just off the A12 at the juction with A120/B1408 take the B1408 to colchester go straight over the next roundabout and the cafe is 100yrds on the right next to a ducati/kawasaki dealership you can't miss it meeting time is 10.00 AM SUNDAY 3RD NOV for a 10.30 OFF then we ride some nice twisty GS backroads to BURY ST EDMUNDS about 30 miles.

for those living in the north of the region
we will meet in the BURY ST EDMUNDS TOWN SQUARE at MIDDAY for a 12.30 OFF then a very short ride to the start of the BOAT.
Myself and Adam are going to do whole ride on the sunday before just to check conditions and then we can pass any info or changes if any on to you guys so unless it rains for a month constant it's ON.Andy/Adam

Yep. I'm game.
Are you still going to do it if it's ****ing down?

Oh for Gods' sake why can't I use an everyday expression like "p1ssing down" without having to spell it funny?:mad: :anger:

RAINING HARD YOU MEAN

Hi Howard,
if it's really really bad like rained for week non stop then I think people might think twice about coming along,but me and Adam have got turn out whatever,we WILL be at the meeting points to greet who ever is there the more the merrier.Andy

BOAT ?

hey up men just bought a GS dont know nothin about em only that I love it to bits, would`nt mind doin Thetford forest on Nov 3rd. but I have never been off road and am the wrong side of forty to be hauling this beastie across country. the tyres are metzlers standard issue I guess ? will I be o.k. confused in norfolk (what is a boat)

Attachments

• ape.gif
    ape.gif
    34 KB · Views: 308
boats

Hi Adrian,
A boat is short for Byway Open to All Traffic, they are very old roads some dating back to saxon/roman times but are untouched by us,some are very difficult and some are very easy to ride,the thetford route is very easy and would be ideal for a beginner as it is flat with no big obsticles like rocks or logs there are no rivers to cross, nearly all of us are using road tyres but there is a fair bit of grass to ride over so common sence and riding to your ability is needed but it has been done 2up on oilheads so i'm sure you will be fine there are times on the run where we brake back on to normal roads so if it you don't want to carry on you can peel off at any time,it's not a race and we are not going to get airbourn at anytime it's just a day out riding in the woods stopping here and there and talking GS's so come along for the ride you will love it.Andy

ME Too

Unless its very wet, me too, i'll meet you in Bury St Edmunds, do they still brew Abbot Ale In Bury, be worth the trip just for that.

thetford

Hi Jim,
not sure about the ale, but it will be nice to see you again,hows that top box? and I bet your other 2 bikes have not the light of day since you got your GS have they.Andy

jumps??

Steve, if want to do some jumps thats fine,i've never seen a 200+kg bike fly before,just let us know when your going to do it and we can get out the way.Andy:D :D

If You go Down to The Woods Today You're Sure of a Big Surprise

Count me in with my mate Canary.

I reckon we're up to 12 with a few weeks to go so there should be enough muscle to drag my pride and joy out of the undergrowth,leafmould,quicksand,bubbling spring.

Any more takers?

Regards
Pristine Yellow Hippo [ at present ]

HIPPO

with a name like that you should at home in woods, anyway how you doin, I spoke to you over GREAT BENTLEY back in the summer don't know if you remember? you was with your friend on an STX1300,sholud be good day.Andy

Back
Top Bottom