Photos from Flanders and the Somme

Bem

younger than some, older than others
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having made a point of being technically inept at uploading photos and webby things of all kinds I have finally taken the plunge and decided to have a go.

In 09 I hooked up with the BMW Tour of WW1 sites and thus enjoyed being guided and having a good guide in the person of Martin Pegler (honourable mentions elswhere on this site, including his B&B).

In no particular order here are some things which for me where significant, and indeed may not necessarily be seen elswhere.

Here is the official South African WW1 memorial in Delville Wood

DSCN0605.jpg

The interior facing the courtyard is all engraved glass - I wish that I had taken more but I wasn`t sure that it would work, it just looked fuzzy on the camera screen

DSCN0603.jpg

The Ulster Tower, which commemorates the losses of the Faughs. Interestingly enough many men from the Guernsey Militia enlisted and were assigned to this Company and saw service here in 1916.

DSCN0601.jpg

Nice pics.
We were at the Some nearly 2 years ago, visited Theipvel Memorial and SWMBO found my Great Uncles name on the computer and then on one of the columns. When we got home i looked on the net and as far as i can find it seems he probably fell at Delville wood.
I must see if i can find more out and then visit the area again.

I chose not to give fuller details of each location as so much is available out there, and many place hold a personal interest for some. Even now I am surprised to find further details of each location and the links they have to many people. I spoke about the Delville Wood Memorial to a Springbok at nightschool and she did not know anything about it - apparently it is the only official SA Memorial to WW1 in Europe? The more I look the less I know.
For me the exquisite beauty of many of these places now simply adds to pain of what has gone before.
More later.

Last edited:
The one at Theipval was the first i had ever been to. It was a very unusual feeling there, so calm and peacefull, you could just sit there for hours, we had my daughter (14 then and a typical teeneger) with us and even she was moved by the place. I should imagine it would feel a totally different place when the night descended though.

I'm determined to do more investigating and return there and other places to build a picture in my own mind of what happened and where.

I have a book from my Grandads Regiment in WW2 and it mentions they walked through Amien and the Cathedral, we made a point of visiting this area and felt a sense of belonging (if thats the correct word) because i could actually be stood where my Grandad had stood in the war.

I dont think the people of 'now' could ever begin to imagine what it was like there during the war

Coming!

I had seen pictures of the Candian Memorial at Vimy Ridge during its renovation but I was still suprised by its vantage point

DSCN0564.jpg

I was even more surprised by its sheer size - yes that black dot at the bottom is a 6ft GSA rider ! The strategic value of the Ridge can be seen by the view to the horizon on the left.

DSCN0573.jpg

Staying for a couple of nights in Ypres meant I had the chance to look around on my own - this is the other gate in Ypres

DSCN0562.jpg

Other images and memorials abound, such as this joint Belgian/French offering just around the corner from the main square. I only noticed because of the lighting, in the day I had walked past twice without seeing.

DSCN0552.jpg

Polygon Wood has a macabre sense to it, looking in part much as it would have done almost a hundred years ago. The Butte or raised mound was there before the war, used as a backstop for firing practice.

DSCN0546.jpg

Standing on the Butte, looking up towards the german positions hidden in the Wood

DSCN0532.jpg

We were able to walk through the trees looking for bunkers in a similar way to those who had gone this way in 1917 - it seems that there are only two or three more or less complete structures left. Hellish for the attackers, but with no escape for the defenders.

DSCN0541.jpg

Last edited:
As with all CWG places there is an info board to help put things in to perspective.

DSCN0535.jpg

just a mile or so up the road from Ypres is the Hooge Chateau, and the crater which appears on a number of publications

DSCN0487.jpg

and looking across from the Chateau, my tank bag for scale in the foreground

DSCN0492.jpg

Not really one crater, but rather a collection of several all at the same point. When you are there on the ground it all makes a little more sense as the Chateau sits on a low ridge, no more than fifty or sixty feet up, but when you get there its as if you can see right into Ypres, an excellent position for spotting.

Last edited:
Those who ride are riders no matter what or where - me on the left by design
Taken outside Hooge Chateau, but played out everywhere around the world

DSCN0486.jpg

We did pop down to Passendaele but everything has been rebuilt and so has little to show of its terrible history - here is the church

DSCN0512.jpg

Hill 60, so called for its elevation was fiercely fought over throughout the war with at least three major mines exploded here along with relentless attack and counterattack. This bunker is one of the few left on top

DSCN0505.jpg

The Devonshire Cemetery holds just those of that Regiment that were lost within yards of this, their holding trench

DSCN0610.jpg

Last edited:
Tyne Cot is a moving place. Originally set up adjacent to a field dressing station with just a few hundred, it then became a concentration cemetery after the war with over eleven thousand burials, the majority unnamed.

DSCN0515.jpg

Young and Old - timless.
DSCN0518.jpg

The Cross of Sacrifice was built on top of a pillbox and effectively forms the focus of the cemetery

DSCN0529.jpg

The back wall is the Memorial to the Missing, and continues with the names of the UK missing after 15 August 1917, those who were counted as missing before that date being listed on the Menin Gate in Ypres.

DSCN0524.jpg

A quiet corner

DSCN0522.jpg

Last edited:
Back on the Somme I was surprised to how close everything was, hidden in folds and dips in the landscape. I think this is the 2nd Canadian Memorial, looking back towards Thiepval in the centre, and the Ulster Tower low down on the right.

DSCN0612.jpg

And Thiepval itself, a glorious construction, slowly but certainly being overtaken by the surrounding trees.

DSCN0590.jpg

Just one of the many views which resonates and sighs

DSCN0594.jpg

As said right at the front, my intention was not to preach about things or to lay claim to any great knowledge but simply to share these pictures and some of my experience with you.

Hope you too can travel that way and share a moment for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Back
Top Bottom