Engine misfire when standing up?

Roge

Reaction score
My DRZ goes fine until I stand up then it misses like a good 'un big back fire, sit back down all is good again? I suspect the ECU but will try to get around to checking the wiring. Any other ideas? :eek

I've heard about someone else recently with exactly those symptoms and it was the sidestand switch. Once it was bypassed, everything was fine :thumb2

reminds me of a problem i occasionally have with the Guzzi;
the battery's under me arse / seat and sometimes to start her, i have to jump up and down on the saddle to make the connections work. :blast

worth a look anyhow. :thumb2 (at the battery connections / not my arse :rolleyes: )

Sidestand switch

Whilst I agree that the sidestand switch is the most likely culprit, I disagree with removing it.
Many years ago I had a near miss. I forgot to lift sidestand, went into a left hander & was tossed onto wrong side of road. No traffic coming other way, so I got away with it.
An aquaintance wasn't so lucky. He was killed aroud 20 years ago in identical circumstances.
Myke

Whilst I agree that the sidestand switch is the most likely culprit, I disagree with removing it.
Many years ago I had a near miss. I forgot to lift sidestand, went into a left hander & was tossed onto wrong side of road. No traffic coming other way, so I got away with it.
An aquaintance wasn't so lucky. He was killed aroud 20 years ago in identical circumstances.
Myke

I agree but the whole thing is designed to be a problem, when I looked at it the finish on the switch is worn away by my boot, so I am going to put one of those real old rubber bars on (as 70/80s Kwak and Honda) that flip it up if I forget or look at making it like my GSPD or older Ducatis where a spring flips it up.
Having removed the switch the bike has smoothed out on slow running obviously it has been bouncing at street speed 50/60km per hr and I can now stand up off road, cack design me thinks

It looks like that was the problem after all - glad it was sorted so easily.

Unless you're kickstarting the DRZ, there's not much reason to get on it with the sidestand down (on uneven ground it's more likely to punt you off the other side as you sit down) so I hear what Mike says, but I do think it's a lot less of a problem for offroaders than for more road oriented bikes.

Back
Top Bottom