F650 Dakar or Tenere 660 (newer one)

cdo1uk

Reaction score
If you had to choose, for road and dirt riding.

F650GS Dakar or XTZ660 Tenere........ and why?

ok bmw plus is has more power, bit lighter and good mpg

tenere is very tall but feels lot lighter than it actualy is.

both have prove to be very reliable and both good off road and on road.

lot tenere owners put a bit money into them to up the power as it is only .167KW/KG as stock which is learner leagal off the shelf in ireland.

but they are both great bikes and have few small items keep eye on and thats about it.

bmw water pump has to be watched, tenere corrosion is an issue but these are minor and easy keep on top off with good servicing and cleaning

pick the one you like best

Having owned both bikes i would have the dakar, no question.
As always it's apersonal thing, but i never got on with the Tenere, The wind buffeting was horrendous for me personally, after trying 3 different screens I gave up, they alkso have a tendency to cut out when approaching roundabouts or red lights etc, not inspiring or confidence building!
I traded the Ten for an F800GS :D
I have to say the Ten was a great Off Road bike though.
Overall for what I wanted, the Dakar was for me I had it for 2 years and never broke down at all.
Hope this helps :)

ive had 2 650 gs's and both were less than 2 years old and both broke down with electrical prolems. what made it worse the dealer , cannons , were totally useless.
the tenere is much better looking , (gs dakars looked old when they were new!! ) will be more reilable and better off road:D
its really a no brainer for me ........the Tenere is :drool:drool:drool
:thumb

I went for a new Tenere and only had it a week and 380miles but so far on the green stuff it seems very able just wants to pull and go.

Very smooth throught the gears but is a bit lumpy below 3000 rpm after that its smooth and plenty of grunt:drool

John, heres an honest opinion from someone who,s had them all, and has now got another Tenere

650 GS not a bad bike but gutless no soul good on petrol till you need to get somewhare fast then your wringing its neck to get there, kudos of it being a BMW, but then most GSers feel its a bike for the wife!! only thing that went on mine was the head bearings, not a lot you can do to get any more grunt from it either as far as im aware

Tenere I bought my first one simply loved the look so it was a must have fitted TKC 80s to it took ot to Wales attempted some offroading deep muddy rutted tracks, thought it was absolutly useless the forks felt like they were attached to the handlebars by bunjee straps, front wheel going everywhere but the handlebars straight,this maybe why people on the XT660.com shange them, brought it back and sold it, the trip to Wales war Excellent you can sit at 85 no problems returning good MPG but I hated it offroad,
HOWEVER my mate who bought the same bike at the same time and did the same trip thought the same, and instead of getting rid he put a pair of MT21 tyres on his, I rode it offroad and its a different beast alltogether it felt so much better with the MT21s on it, my latest Tenere has them fitted and must say they are great and I love the bike now,
Wait for it However !!
After selling the Tenere I bought a 59 plate BMW 800 GS that I fitted MT21s on straight away used for w weekend offroading in Thetford and the bike was amazing it was simply superb faster than both the Tenere and the 650 GS cruising speed much higher tons of grunt compaired with the other 2 for overtaking and generally so much better, I loved it but the cost was putting me off for the offroading side of it as slinging an £8k bike down a muddy trail wasnt my idea of having a good time so that was sold and another Tenere was found

My current Bike has a few add ons Leo Vince Cans, DNA stage 3 filter kit, Snorkel removed, kev mod, MT21s, so on the performance is slightly better than STD but its very smooth now with the injection problem almost eliminated,
Now My advice
If money is not an issue Buy the 800GS its by far the better bike for all occasions,
If it is buy, the Tenere as its a capable bike with the right tyres and bits fitted and it is true Value for money especially if you buy a almost new one
£4k will buy you a really low mile mint bike (Half the price of the 800GS) thats good value and the smiles for miles factor is high with a value for money bike if you remember your not going to beat a WR450 offroad or a 1200GS onroad youll be fine with the Tenere :thumb

Back
Top Bottom