525 EXC - Throttle Suddenly Unresponsive During Ride?

dakarDude

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just picked up a second-hand 525 EXC "Six Days" (2005) last Saturday.

It was fully fuelled when the following happened last night...

Riding home along an A-road near where I live in approx. 4/5th gear when suddenly, I go to open her up a bit to overtake and ... nothing... the engine was still running, but the throttle would do absolutely nothing.

As the bike was slowing, I obviously had to plan my "controlled" pull-over as there was a bit of traffic and also had to hang back and get behind the car I was about to overtake. :eek

I managed to pull in to the side of the road, the bike then stalled. I then started her up and voila, the throttle worked again and I was able to pull away and get myself home.

Anyone any ideas please? Fuel was full, I wasn't on reserve or anything like that, did an oil change Sunday, all throttle cables seem fine and I can't see anything out of the ordinary? The bike was serviced approx. one month ago.

I also have another slight issue - when coming to a stop using the front brake, it judders a little at the last stage before coming to a halt - any ideas on this one also please?

TIA.

Blocked main jet or a blob of water in it.
Remove the drain plug and get the main jet out to see.

Juddering may be steering head bearings either too loose or just knackered.

Thanks matey!

I'm not very mechanical TBH, but I'm starting to do my own basic stuff with it like oil changes, air filter etc. Its due an MOT in a month so I may get it checked over I think.

I came to work on it today and it was absolutely fine.

Your water point is a good one, I cleaned it Sunday.

CHeers again Timolgra! :thumb2

If the throttle goes again, loosen the fuel cap as it sounds like a blocked fuel tank breather.
Has the bike got one of the stubby type breather kits on it? If so, bin it and return to the proven tube to the headstock...

T.

It has yes Timpo - its a short stubby black one with a silver/metal stopper on the top - all in, its probably 2 inches max.

Back
Top Bottom