How rugged have you found the 660?

mr_magicfingers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm deliberating my choice between 550 & 660, the 550 seems to have a good track record for durability and ruggedness, just wondering if those that have moved up to the 660 have any thoughts on how rugged the new model is?

Not sure if you mean, they'll survive a head-on crash or summat?

Anyhoo... my 660 has done 26000miles, so its pretty durable. :rolleyes:

I fell over with my bike into a quite deep ditch and the 660 stayed on... although I didn't. No issues... though I wasn't moving at the time... long story!

I ride year round (minus the three weeks when my road is covered in snow and ice)... no probs at all.

I use the satnav on the bike and my wife uses it i the car at times so it get tossed around a fair bit... no issues yet... but then I haven't upgraded the software to version 3.8 or whatever it is at now.

I'd buy it again.

Justin

I'm not certain about the 660 mate... But can vouch for the 550. Used across States last year on dirt as well as tarmac... Took loads of abuse from the most corrugated roads as well as some serious off road back here and I had no issues...

Just remember to take a small allen key with you. Sometimes the vibrations can cause the battery to move. Just unscrew the battery if the unit is not responsive to a press of the "on button", reseat and away you go.

In 25,000 miles on the bike I've had to do that twice.

Another plus over the 660 is, I am told, location of USB port on unit. 550 does not need battery hatch opening as the 660 does I think...

Simon

No, :D, more that the 550 seems to be rubber covered and 'chunky' whereas the 660 seems less protected from the pictures, really just wondering about day-day use, being chucked in bags etc.

Cheers,

J.

ah.. got ya!

I had a 550 too, the 660 is much nicer to use.

I treat the 660 with much joyful respect, none of this throwing around guff. When its off the bike its usually in a safe place; in a pocket with nothing else or if its going to be sharing space with other items, eg in a bag, then it goes into the zip case it came with.

IMHO, Zumos are too expensive to chuck around with gay abandon or any other abandon you prefer.

Buy one and enjoy the firmware updates, that'll be the reason your Zumo may get thrown around if you're of the easily upset type.

thanks all for the replies, sounds like it's basically down to how good a deal I can get. Have found the 550 for £335 which is pretty good with full warranty.

I have both (was going to sell the 550 when I bought the 660 but didn't) and find they are both nice bits of kit.

Wouldn't say the 660 is 'better', just somewhat different to use.

I know what you mean about the apparent ruggedness of the 550 due to it's appearance and at times, I find the buttons on the front of the 550 easier to use too...

Both of mine have been replaced by Garmin FOC due to complete failure at different times....so far both performing faultlessly....:rolleyes:

You'll be happy with the 550 for sure...:thumb

I have both (was going to sell the 550 when I bought the 660 but didn't) and find they are both nice bits of kit.

Wouldn't say the 660 is 'better', just somewhat different to use.

I know what you mean about the apparent ruggedness of the 550 due to it's appearance and at times, I find the buttons on the front of the 550 easier to use too...

Both of mine have been replaced by Garmin FOC due to complete failure at different times....so far both performing faultlessly....:rolleyes:

You'll be happy with the 550 for sure...:thumb

What made you decide to keep the 550, is there a reason you'd use that over the 660?

What made you decide to keep the 550, is there a reason you'd use that over the 660?

Initially I couldn't find all the gubbins to sell it with....so thought sod it, it can stay.

Then the 660 failed so the 550 came back into service for the short time whilst the 660 was being replaced....

Now I have set up my other bikes with mounts for the 550 so that's main reason for keeping it, the 660 stays on the GS or the car..

So I guess I 'feel' the 550 is more suited to a wee bit of chopping and changing....More rugged maybe, after all... :blast :D

Initially I couldn't find all the gubbins to sell it with....so thought sod it, it can stay.

Then the 660 failed so the 550 came back into service for the short time whilst the 660 was being replaced....

Now I have set up my other bikes with mounts for the 550 so that's main reason for keeping it, the 660 stays on the GS or the car..

So I guess I 'feel' the 550 is more suited to a wee bit of chopping and changing....More rugged maybe, after all... :blast :D

Thanks, all sounds good. Just found a place selling 500's for £250, then a tenner for an extra card. All sounding very good.

Back
Top Bottom