ZUMO 660 STARCOM1 PROBLEM - NAV = MONO YET MP3 = STEREO

jrhbonneville

Reaction score
I have a Garmin Zumo 660 with a wired Starcom1 SH-550-04 headset. The problem is that Navigation instructions are only recieved in one ear, yet when the MP3 player is used from within the Zumo the music is stereo into both ears.

I have the 3.80 software version loaded.

Any advice appreciated?

Regards - Jim

Problem solved - hopefully. Exchanged the Power/Headphone/Mic lead which has returned stereo to the headphones from all sources within the Zumo.:)

I have a Garmin Zumo 660 with a wired Starcom1 SH-550-04 headset. The problem is that Navigation instructions are only recieved in one ear, yet when the MP3 player is used from within the Zumo the music is stereo into both ears.

I have the 3.80 software version loaded.

Any advice appreciated?

Regards - Jim

Mono sat nav prompts and stereo music -standard as far as I know. I connect via Scala bluetooth headset and mic -
I suspect that the sat nav prompts are in mono as they occupy less space in the software memory - just my guess though. There would be little advantage to having the prompts in stereo , as it would be exactly the same info in each ear -we only speak in mono at the best of times !! :eek:Whereas music MP3's are in stereo, and as they are normally stored on the SD card, then they do not steal any memory needed for the navigation software to run.
I recommend the 3.9 version by the way -(still mono prompts), seems overall a bit slicker and snappier than the very dodgy v3.8.

For clarification. On purchasing the 660, and fitting the wired Starcom1, I had all communications - Satnav, music and phone into both headsets (stereo). After a while it went intermitent, then gone altogether. On exchanging the complete Starcom1 package, the problem started as originaly described in the opening thread - music into both headsets (stereo) but Satnav only into one (mono). On exchanging (again) the combined power/headset and mic lead it has gone back to what it said on the tin - all communications into both headsets, including Satnav, (stereo). I am now happy - as long it holds out!

Hope this helps others:)

Interesting -must be just the Scala then that has mono prompts. Bang goes my theory anyhow !
Glad it's working for you - but sounds like the starcom has been a bit dodgy !

Back
Top Bottom