PDA

View Full Version : Waypoint transfer

Bryn
10-07-10, 17:40
Why is it that when I transfer a waypoint to the 660 using Road Trip a pop up always asks if I want to send the corrresponding maps with the waypoint??

Secondly on a similar theme, A route transfer is followed by a pop up asking if I want to recalculate as the route was produced from a different version of mapsource...

Should I say yes, and will that bugger up the route :confused:

Womble
10-07-10, 23:09
No idea about the first one as I don't use that software.

As far as the second one is concerned, if your maps are a lot older, I'd avoid recalculating because the new route will try and take you via new roads that your software isn't aware of.

If your maps are of a similar age, recalculating could still screw you up because the originator of the maps could have set very different road preferences and avoidances, not to mention speeds for each type of road. If you do recalculate, make a copy and recalculate that, tweaking the values until the routes are as close as you can get them.

Bryn
11-07-10, 15:48
Thanks for that... The maps I have are new... the ones the routes are calculated on are probably older ;)

GeorgeH
11-07-10, 19:38
I have the same... everytime I transfer a route from mapsource to gps. I get asked if I want to recalculate as they are different maps.
If I say no, the route on the gps becomes straight lines between waypoints....which is crap.
If I say yes, the 660 recalculates the route and then names it something different to what I called it, so I have to look at each leg to see which is which and then manually rename it on the gps...:blast
Mapsource is updated with the latest software... so is the 660

Bryn
11-07-10, 19:47
I have the same... everytime I transfer a route from mapsource to gps. I get asked if I want to recalculate as they are different maps.
If I say no, the route on the gps becomes straight lines between waypoints....which is crap.
If I say yes, the 660 recalculates the route and then names it something different to what I called it, so I have to look at each leg to see which is which and then manually rename it on the gps...:blast
Mapsource is updated with the latest software... so is the 660

Having not tried one of the routes that I've imported, sounds like I'm going to get a lot of straight lines if I don't tick the 'recalculate' box :blast