TEST DRIVE

Rollin Bone

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm Test driving an Adventurer and a SMT at the weekend, i'm on my second GS1200 but i'm getting a bit fed up with it corroding before my eyes, along with the thought's of whats going to go wrong next, rear diff, or gearbox seals? on saying that I still love the bike but its time to change. I did test drive the new GS apart from the engine being a little bit crisper the bike was just the same as my own 2008 model..

Anyway whats your thoughts guys Aventurer or SMT or stick with GS

Cheers RB:beer:

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys, gave me a lot to think about, a went for a blast on the SMT today!!!!!!!!! Quick, Flickable and Basically mad, Just what I need.......... So its Goodbye to my GS though i must say it wont be without a tear in my eye!!!!!!but hae you only live once and with very much help from the SMT I intend to do that!!!!!well for a couple of years anyway, so I no longer have to worry about non start, rear wheel bearings, corroision the like you see only on the Titanic, right hand cylinder exploding, front brake judder, poor heated grips........ etc etc etc.......

Thanks Again RB:beer:

Hiya. My route to the 990 SMT was like this 1150 GS, 1200GS, 1100S Multistrada then the 990 SMT. Comfort 2 up, either of the GS' would beat the KTM and Ducati, hands down BUT solo fun and frolics it has to be the SMT.

I'm not little and Mrs Hooky a shapely lass so we tip the scales at something like 28 stone/ We loaded up the KTM and went to Assen recently for the GP and the bike was well up to the task apart form as said, a bit cramped.

Not without issues though, lets call them teething troubles, mainly centred around dealer backup and delivery times from the factory. Where it counts though, on the road, the KTM is the better all round bike. Less whistles and bells though and if you're a Touratech addict, forget it :)

Of course with either the SMT or Adventure you avoid the clitoris factor. :rolleyes:

Recently had an 08 990 Adv for 10 months. Loved the bike but eventually got fed up with the poor FI. Tried all the usual remedies but it didn't solve the basic problem below 4k rpm with surging and snatchy throttle.

The fueling on the 09/10 bikes (Adv and SMT) is reportedly better although still not perfect... :nenau

Have now got an 06 950 Adv with nice smooth carbs and it's a big improvement. :thumb2

I wouldn't be to sure about the Katoom build quality and reliability being better than the GS. For example in May I went to Prague and Bavaria on my 56 plate 1200 Adv, did 2,500k, and it was perfect and didn't even use a drop of oil. After two days with the 950 the clutch slave went and had to limp home stuck in first gear. :(

Both bikes have over 25k on them and generally the GS is in better overall condition.

Enjoy the SMT. :)

Two Weeks in

Hi Guys two weeks in,about 350 miles (I work 24/7) I cant get enough of my SMT:bounce1. The only issue I have is that I need to stick to 5000rpm until first service:augie No seriously cant praise bike enough I know its still early days but long may they continue. Oh and thanks to the Guys at Drysdale's Perth Very helpful and pleasant to deal with, cheers Guys:flag

Regards RB

Back
Top Bottom