South London Motorcycles

BigNige

Reaction score
Went there in the week.
In Caterham, Surrey.

Huge range of clothing (nowt to fit me but I am a big chap :() very knowledgeable guys and carry Touratech & Wunderlich stuff.

:D

I will consider them when it's time for a change I think.

Bought my gs from there.manager paul davies ex manchester williams bmw.Got me a gs in less than a month in june !
Get membership of "their club" and get 5% off parts incl wunderlich.
Darren in parts dept ex spc seems very helpful.
Ocassional "free pizza "on clubnights.
saw simon pavey give a talk and saw boxercup technical staff there as well.
At least worth a ride out.

colt said:
Bought my gs from there.manager paul davies ex manchester williams bmw.Got me a gs in less than a month in june !
Get membership of "their club" and get 5% off parts incl wunderlich.
Darren in parts dept ex spc seems very helpful.
Ocassional "free pizza "on clubnights.
saw simon pavey give a talk and saw boxercup technical staff there as well.
At least worth a ride out.

Met Paul, big fella, very affable, great sense of humour, very knowledgeable. :)

Bought my Adventure import through them. Delayed due to non-arrival of the German paperwork, but that's not really their fault. Otherwise, a good buying experience and would definitely use again.
Bought a pair of Airflow 2 trousers there and they had a good range of sizes in stock.
Usually have lots of bikes to poke around.

Currently in the throes of buying a new GS from them - delivery end of this month. Not being a long-term biker I haven't much to go by in terms of comparison, but they seem to be a solid outfit. The test ride was well organised and fun. No hard sell afterwards - seems these bikes sell themselvesm, which also means that getting any sort of discount is a major struggle (or at least it was for me - I didn't get any sort of discount worth talking about). Let's hope that the aftersales are as friendly and efficient as the sales team!

Twitcher said:
seems these bikes sell themselvesm, which also means that getting any sort of discount is a major struggle (or at least it was for me - I didn't get any sort of discount worth talking about).

They do more or less sell themselves which is why some well-known dealerships take the attitude that they're doing you a favour selling you one - "hurry because if you don't buy today I can't guarantee one before April 2010". I think it's a very bad scenario when a dealer doesn't have to try to sell a product because they know they've got more customers than supply of bikes.

You won't get discount (because of the above) but what you should and can expect is lots of discount on extra items. You should negotiate panniers, rails, topbox etc at as close to cost as possible (but at least 25% off). Clothes, helmet, accessories boughht at the time should be heavily discounted. And if they want you to return to them regularly for your BMW items they should treat you as a loyal customer and always give you discount. If they don't - go elsewhere and build up a relationship with another dealer.

BigNige said:

Met Paul, big fella, very affable, great sense of humour, very knowledgeable. :)

Ah, that's where Paul Davies has gone. He used to be employed by BMW (GB) as Motorcycle Manager at Park Lane. BM asked him to move to Manchester to open the branch there. An all-round good egg - even though I never bought a bike off him (much to his chagrin!)

Is SLM owned by BMW (GB) Ltd?

Greg

SLM

SLM are part of the HD group that includes Dockgate 20 and Thames Valley HD.
Seems they have trouble selling bikes with more that two cylinders (didn't see many K-series there...).

BigNige

I took your advice and went to that BMW store this week, and you were dead right they do have a good rang of quality clothing. That was good advice, thanks mate.:D

SLM

My R1100GS has just been into SLM for accident repair (thanks to some twat from Merton Council who decided to take a short cut across my path!).

Anyway, bike went in last Tuesday, 22nd July and was booked in for 1 day. I was given an F650GS loaner for the day and off I went to rediscover the joys of the single cylinder!

I received a phone call later the same day saying that when the fuel tank was taken off there was a bracket underneath that was bent and had not been originally spotted. This bracket could not be simply straightened but needed to be replaced and was on back order with up to 7 days delay. Les Walker at SLM said that I could keep the loaner as long as I needed it at no extra cost (they are normally £10 per day + VAT) and they would let me know when the bike would be ready.

I had a call from Les yesterday (Monday 28th July) saying that the work was all finished and I could get my bike back. I collected it last night and they had done a fantastic job of the repair works, did a full valet and fixed/adjusted some bits that were playing up prior to the accident. The bike now rides better than ever.

Fantastic service from SLM and nice guys too.

Now I'm back on the GS after a week on the F650 I realise once again what a superb bike the GS is, but don't we all know that anyway?

Cheers.

Jon. (Grinning from ear to ear!!)

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom