Knocking

littleredrooster

Reaction score
I bought my 1150GS last week (2001 'X', 12000mls) and have covered about 600 miles on it. When I first bought it, I was aware of a rattle at 2500rpm+ on a light or trailing throttle, but thought this was because it is an air-cooled engine (with no water jacket) and anyway, everyone I spoke to said they rattled a bit. On a run yesterday, however, it seems to have become a pronounced knock (or I have become paranoid about it). Should the 1150 motor sound like it has a goosed big-end bearing? This does not happen under load or on the over-run, only on a light or trailing throttle. Funny thing is, I can't replicate this at a standstill. Revving the engine to 2500-3000rpm on the centre stand reveals no knock. I intend to take it back to the dealer next week, but in the meantime can anyone shed some light on this please? Do they all do this?

What gear are you in when it happens?

If you are in top gear then it could be one thing, but if you were in 1st gear it could be another, maybe?

Mick.

also consider that the knock may not be from the engine

get up to the speed that the knocking happens and pull in the clutch to coast for a few 100m

is the knocking still there?

Mine makes what I can best describe as a tinkling noise when in town = 3000 rpm ish in third. If I close my visor or go to 4000 rpm ish the noise goes away! I suspect it might be the fuel injector as there's been no expensive noises, and the oil consumption is not too bad, ie 2000 miles and on the window dot and its last fill was at the 600 miles service.

If its a rattle from the rhs, take a closer look at the throttle body - it suffers from premature wearing and causes rattling. A test would be to put your finger lightly on the cable cam and if it disappears this is your problem. It will only occur on small throttle openings.

Knocking!

OK, thanks for the response, guys. Just to re-cap:

Knock occurs in all gears from 2500rpm+ on a light or trailing throttle, not under load, and not in neutral at a standstill. Sound is not a light rattle, but a deep knock - if it was a car, I would say big-end or main bearings, but it is obviously not this. Seems to come from the depths of the engine, not cylinder heads (I can hear the light rustle of the valve gear). Could it be gearbox input bearing? Anyone got any experience of this??

OK, guys - bike now stripped in SPC's workshop. Main bearings goosed. SPC are to fit a new short motor under warranty. How's that for customer service?

Will keep you posted; bike expected back next week sometime.

Main bearings??

Gulp - mains gone at 12,000 - I hope this is unusual. I wonder if the previous owner kept the oil up in the beast?

Main bearings

I have 2 friends with 1150's that have had the bearings fail too.
The first at 10,000 and the other at 14,000. The one at 10,000 got it done under warranty but not the other one! Both looked after their bikes well.

Jon

:(

I didn't hear anything untoward but had the engine replaced at 16,000 miles for the same reason - my bike was well cared for and mine from new.

in total agreement

the righthand throttle body does the same thing in mine and my brothers bikes (both 2000 1150's) my mileage is about 32000 and the ticking noise is exactly as descibed and goes if throttle body is clasped in hand but this can be replicated at standstill so i dont think this is your problem.............by the way is it really 108 pounds to fix it ........robbin b.......ds i think i'll email bmw in germany and see if they have a cheap cure :eek:

How strange. Time travelling threads whilst I'm watching Dr Who.

The strip down and main bearings sounds drastic. What was the cost of that little exercise if you don't mind me asking?
Ta muchly.

Good these Bm's hay .

Yet when you speak to a dealer they all deny of any reliability issues.

I was paranoid about gear box failure yet two main dealers I've spoken too say it's been that long since they replaced a gearbox they can't remember .

Of course they could suffer from poor memories.

Also it's not corrosion we suffer from it's paint flaking caused by us all using costic type cleaners :eek:

Back
Top Bottom