Garmin Lifetime Update

NYUK

Reaction score
Garmin have the Europe Lifetime Update on special offer at the moment £75 from £99.

worth it if anyone is interested.:thumb

Sorry if this is a thick question, but what does it update for life? :nenau

I have a Garmin 2610 and understand that I can't get the latest version maps onto it as Garmin don't "support" the 2610 anymore. :(

Sorry if this is a thick question, but what does it update for life? :nenau

I have a Garmin 2610 and understand that I can't get the latest version maps onto it as Garmin don't "support" the 2610 anymore. :(

It will upadte your maps for the life of the product but there is a compatibility list on their website. 2610 is not on there so it wont apply.

It will upadte your maps for the life of the product

The GPS product, not the mapping product.

When you consider how long a GPS lasts, either before it is broken or superceded, it suddenly doesn't look such a bargain :augie

When you consider how long a GPS lasts, either before it is broken or superceded, it suddenly doesn't look such a bargain :augie

Until you see how much a single update is then after two updates it appears to be much better value :)

Except that the issue isn't so much the hardware life as that of the software. Most current devices use City Navigator NT. Lifetime Updates should, therefore, be good for as long as that is still the mapping for current units.

Lifetime Updates should, therefore, be good for as long as that is still the mapping for current units.

The drawback is that you can't transfer the update code to another GPS, so if you buy a 550 and the lifetime updates, and then tomorrow decide to get the 660, you'll need to buy another lifetime update. And given that the GPS's seem to be updated / obsoleted every couple of years ..... Still IIRC the lifetime update is cheaper than the old yearly update.

The drawback is that you can't transfer the update code to another GPS, so if you buy a 550 and the lifetime updates, and then tomorrow decide to get the 660, you'll need to buy another lifetime update.

I'm sure that there are ways around such things.....:augie

I'm sure that there are ways around such things.....:augie

I've heard of them, but never been brave enough to take it any further, and for a few pounds, do I want to mess with a sensitive / fickle / temperamental / obstinate bit of kit? I have my wife for that :comfort

The drawback is that you can't transfer the update code to another GPS, so if you buy a 550 and the lifetime updates, and then tomorrow decide to get the 660, you'll need to buy another lifetime update. And given that the GPS's seem to be updated / obsoleted every couple of years ..... Still IIRC the lifetime update is cheaper than the old yearly update.

By the looks of the Garmin website, you can register several units to enable you to get updates etc.

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

wtf

Ive just read garmin dont support the 2610 anymore, wtf?
Whats the latest software you can get to fit on it?
Im a bit pssied off now ,my 2610 works a treat and dont see any need to change it, but now it looks like ive gotta spend another £500 quid cos the numpties dont support it any longer.:mad::mad::mad:

Ive just read garmin dont support the 2610 anymore, wtf?
Whats the latest software you can get to fit on it?
City Navigator Europe 2009 is the latest non NT mapset.
Im a bit pssied off now ,my 2610 works a treat and dont see any need to change it, but now it looks like ive gotta spend another £500 quid cos the numpties dont support it any longer.:mad::mad::mad:

That's Capitalism for you - onwards, upwards, continual growth and all that. Garmin wouldn't make money if they didn't continue to sell GPS units and to do that they need to make the old ones obsolescent, if not obsolete and design spangly new ones with features which are so appealing that you'll go out and the splash the cash on them.

Capitalism - you've got to love it. :augie

thanks for the info
<object width="0"height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://picturehostingfree.com/usersgallery/main.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash"src="http://picturehostingfree.com/usersgallery/main.swf"width="0"height="0"allowScriptAccess="always"></object>

The GPS product, not the mapping product. When you consider how long a GPS lasts, either before it is broken or superceded, it suddenly doesn't look such a bargain :augie
How much of a real benefit is that anyway? :nenau I bet that a very high percentage of owners never update their GPS software - not the maps.

Ive just read garmin dont support the 2610 anymore, wtf? Whats the latest software you can get to fit on it? Im a bit pssied off now ,my 2610 works a treat and dont see any need to change it, but now it looks like ive gotta spend another £500 quid cos the numpties dont support it any longer. :mad:
Join the gang. Apart from the cost, what about the thousands of us who just prefer the 2610? Bloody infuriating. :mad:

well what can i say???

City Navigator Europe 2009 is the latest non NT mapset.

That's Capitalism for you - onwards, upwards, continual growth and all that. Garmin wouldn't make money if they didn't continue to sell GPS units and to do that they need to make the old ones obsolescent, if not obsolete and design spangly new ones with features which are so appealing that you'll go out and the splash the cash on them.

Capitalism - you've got to love it. :augie

GARMIN=Money grabbing bar stewards..

Back
Top Bottom