oil change lesson learnt

mikeTR

Reaction score
Did an oil change yesterday

Did all the reading - , workshop manual, FAQs, chaingang but still made the mistake of overfilling :blast

But at least think I know why, so for the benefit of others. Here is what I did, and what not to do.

1-Ran bike until fan kicked in
2-drained oil (tank, sump then oil filter)
3-filled with 2 litres of oil (only just fitted in)
4-ran for 30secs
5-filled with another 0.3 litres
6-ran bike
7-checked level - Wasn't even on dipstick. Checked for leaks. All ok so slowly put oil in until it appeared on dipstick - took 0.5 litre
8-went for ride, came back checked oil - way over MAX so had to syphon some out!

I think it went wrong at 7. I didn't allow the new oil to come up to operating temperature before checking level after filling with 2.3 litres.

6-ran bike
7-checked level - Wasn't even on dipstick. Checked for leaks. All ok so slowly put oil in until it appeared on dipstick - took 0.5 litre
8-went for ride, came back checked oil - way over MAX so had to syphon some out!

I think it went wrong at 7. I didn't allow the new oil to come up to operating temperature before checking level after filling with 2.3 litres.

Or didn't allow the bike to stand for a bit in order to allow the level to settle :nenau

Andres

Almost did the same myself but lucky for me some scottish cow put me straight:D:D with some very helpful advice:blast

At least you sorted it, well done:thumb

it a pain isn't it :D I fill the bike with 2.3 litres then go for a spin, when i come back i wait ten minutes then check the oil level, seems to work :thumb2

i fill and levae, everytime i check it its a different levels, either too full or nothing at all. i keep and eye for leaks and as long as no leaks (film oil on bottom eng case normal as some the casings were porus) and that oil can be seen in res. then i dont bother being too fussy

i got all hung up myself and did the exact smae thing you did the 1st oil change.

2.3l, tighten all bolts up and just enjoy it, dont worry about level too much as long as not frothy and leaking

i fill and levae, everytime i check it its a different levels, either too full or nothing at all. i keep and eye for leaks and as long as no leaks (film oil on bottom eng case normal as some the casings were porus) and that oil can be seen in res. then i dont bother being too fussy

i got all hung up myself and did the exact smae thing you did the 1st oil change.

2.3l, tighten all bolts up and just enjoy it, dont worry about level too much as long as not frothy and leaking

Precisely. If it says 2.3 litres in the manual and thats what you have put in why do you need to check the level?

I've found the most important thing when getting the level correct is to put the sump plug back before you refill with oil.
:blast

Back
Top Bottom