Old Spiral Highway, Lo Lo Pass & Moose...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1st July

After a good night’s sleep, I’m up early and on the road at 0830. I start off taking the ‘Old Spiral Highway’ north out of Clarkton. Replaced by the US95, this road coils around the hills to the north of Clarkston & Lewiston – it’s a great ride…

5726581-L.jpg

It’s a warm and humid day - 72º already – but the breeze at the top of the hill is cool and pleasant. I turn right onto the 95, then follow it east to US12 – a scenic byway, commemorating the Perce-Nez Indian trail, the Lewis & Clarke expedition and the North West Passage. It obviously used to be very busy…

5726582-L.jpg

The road follows the Clearwater River which as its name suggests, is crystal clear…

5726583-L.jpg

The road is well surfaced and reasonably busy. There is a 55mph speed limit in force for most of its length – and I see a lot of Police cars out, so I keep reasonably close to it…

Deciding to ignore the services I see offered in Kamiah…

5726584-L.jpg

…I eventually reach the section of US12 I rode a couple of weeks ago, towards Lo Lo Pass. Last time I was here, it was raining steadily…

5726585-L.jpg

…whilst today, it’s as dry as a bone.

5726586-L.jpg

After 50 miles or so, I take a break – having this much fun can be quite exhausting…:D

5726588-L.jpg

As I’m riding down the Montana side of the Lo Lo Pass, I notice an animal in the undergrowth to the right of the road. I stop the bike and realise I’m looking at a Moose. Unfortunately, my arrival startles it, and it takes off into the woods, with surprising agility, before I can get a picture. Hopefully, I’ll be seeing some of his relatives in Glacier and Canada in the next few days.

I eventually get to Missoula, where I have lunch and refuel. I see that Montana has taken a step towards discouraging ‘drive-offs’ at filling stations…

5726589-L.jpg

I head up towards Flathead Lake on US93, past a survivalist’s one-stop shop…

5726590-L.jpg

I stop to take a picture of Flathead Lake from a scenic overlook – the phone company has really starred here – I mean, people are meant to take pictures from here – what were they thinking?

5726591-L.jpg

I get into Kalispell in the middle of a violent rainstorm. Declining the Hampton Inn’s comedy offer of a room for $128, I settle for a little Mom & Pop for $55 instead. Actually, I think it’s a Mom & Cat.

5726580-L.jpg

5726592-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom