Duncan Richmond - Syria

BigCol

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Duncan Richmond in Syria? He posted a reply to my post several months ago regarding Syria but does not allow PM's to be sent. I'm off there in Oct and would like to pick his brains.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Colin

Hi Bigcol,

Sorry - What a bummer!

Had computer problems for awhile and I was away in France on holiday sept/october. Would have loved to have helped you with your trip. Are you still in the area ? drop us a line if you need any info.

Best Wishes

Duncan

Uh oh, Duncan you're from Damascus?!

Well, question for you: does Syria need a Carnet document for the bike to enter the country?

Mo

Hi Mo-Tech,

I can find out for you, I didn't need one because I am here on a Uk govt job. Intially I was given a temp permit for one month.Then had to get it registerd, what a saga that was, the authourities don't like bikes in Damascus (used as assinnation veichles in the bad old days) I have heard as a tourist that you can pay $70 which includes compulsory insurance for a months visit. You could include Syria on a carnet if you are visiting other countries in the region.

Despite its poor image I can recomend Syria, as a visitor with abike you be very welcomed, no rip offs, very freindly and helpful people.There are some premier sites in Syria and it is very under -touristed The roads outside the cities are good and have little traffic, petrol is about 60cents a litre and plenty of fuel stations. No real campsites but plenty of open desert (hotels are cheap) the general cost of living is very low. Security is not a problem and the crimerate is very low. Soon as I get the carnet info I will let you know, if you need more info drop me line.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks for the reply Duncan, but I've only just seen this as I've been away on the trip and only got back 2 weeks ago.

Syria: Very friendly people but crap roads :)

I'll call you for a beer when I visit again

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Glad your trip went Ok, yes the roads can be shi*e and the communist bloc architecture a bit grim, the govt should dish out some free paint to brighten the place up a bit !I am here until OCT 05 and hopefully will be riding back to Europe. Drop us a line if your heading this way again.

Best Wishes

Duncan

Syria

If everything goes well, then we'll do a slight Syria visiting too in August.

What you recommend to see there? Damascus is one idea.

Mo

Colin, does entering UAE require Carnet de Passage document for the motorcycle if we're entering it from Iran side (over the gulf with ferry)?

Mo

BigCol said:
Thanks for the reply Duncan, but I've only just seen this as I've been away on the trip and only got back 2 weeks ago.

Syria: Very friendly people but crap roads :)

I'll call you for a beer when I visit again

Regards

Colin

Back
Top Bottom