1200GS Alarm

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone retro fitted the BMW alarm to there 1200 yet Mine came without one, Phoned my dealer who says it costs £123.oo+ vat and its a big job to fit because of the single cable system then said they just fitted one and it took an hour, it cant be that much of big deal to be done in an hour can it they want £220.00+vat to do the job I think £97.00 is a bit rich for an hours work, greatfull for any responce cheers ADV boy
:confused:

Brother and I had alarms retro fitted about 2 weeks ago. Cost us £197 each, that included 10% discount, so your figure sounds roughly right. Try and get yourself some discount!

Not too bad considerring a Meta alarm will set you back around the £300 mark.

Roughly the same amount over here in France. A friend got one retrofitted to his bike.

steal

phew sounds like a deal to me, price for fitting datatool 3 to a Pan was 200 quid.................grab it

Fitted

got the alarm from BMW dealer fitted it as I expected it works there is a book that tells you how to programme the different modes which costs a tenner but still £80 cheaper than have them do it
:D

Ordered a R12GS from SLM in Red/Grey/Black with alarm and other extras. Dealer already has Red/Black/Black in stock and will swap the grey panels for black. No problem.

However... it sounds like an alarm wasn't on the bike as they are having to retrofit it, and it's not straightforward, so someone from BMW is coming in on Thursday to help. Anyway, at least I'm not having to pay any retrofit charges.

Tim

I asked about an alarm when I got my GS12 from Mill - was told that it could only be fitted at the factory! Hmmm...:mad:

It isn't Thatcham approved though is it?

My 12GS was purchased form Clarks of Brum , it was a cancelled order and came from the factory with no alarm, some minor arm bending got the alarm fitted for £100 inclusive, it apparently isnt a big job to retro fit and def can be fitted by the dealer with little fuss.

It would be nice if the damned thing didnt self arm or arm so quickly as i find myself leaving the ignition on when carrying out routine cleaning etc, i'll have to read the book and change the settings in due course.

:beerjug:

Whilst fitting the top box support I took-off my rear light (1 electrical connector) and could see the alarm sounder unit. As far as I could see it only had 1 electrical connector plug going in to it, from the main wiring harness.
Looks easy peasy to fit?
Why not ask a dealer what parts are needed and what is really involved.

Users manual order No: 01 41 7 690 841 04.2004 2nd edition GB/RF

It would be nice if the damned thing didnt self arm or arm so quickly as i find myself leaving the ignition on when carrying out routine cleaning etc, i'll have to read the book and change the settings in due course.[/B]

"Self arm" ? What do you mean by that ?
My alarm does not self arm :confused:

The Machine Cat said:

When the ignition key is switched off or removed from the ignition the alarm unit sets itself after 30 seconds, it only disarms when the ignition is switched on and decoded or when the key is inserted and decoding takes place, two beeps tells you the alarm has set, one beep lets you know it has disarmed.

The Machine Cat said:

Page 12 Notice d'utilisation supplementaire

"Activation automatique"

Bonjour.bnige

Adventure Boy said:
its a big job to fit because of the single cable system then said they just fitted one and it took an hour
:confused:
a big job:confused: just b*lsh*t. 'cause off the canbus one must only connect the alarmbox. all the rest is prefitted! btw, the alarmbox is underneath the double plate of passengersaddle.

greetz

Welshmagician said:
When the ignition key is switched off or removed from the ignition the alarm unit sets itself after 30 seconds, it only disarms when the ignition is switched on and decoded or when the key is inserted and decoding takes place, two beeps tells you the alarm has set, one beep lets you know it has disarmed.

Merde, I was going to ask the same question, again . I did not see your answers two months ago. A little bit late but.. thanks Welshmagician and Sixfootandstocky

:D

Mine doesnt self arm either. In fact it seems a pretty poor alarm not reacting at all when I open the panniers or top box.

Didnt get a manual with it. So what optional settings are there? I thought it was just on or off.

I've got the standard alarm as well. Pretty poor I think. Not Cat 1 approved and only activates after major earthquake / somebody removing the engine.

I'd fit a datatool system 3 if I was looking to fit an alarm. Had one on my old bike with no problems and just the right amount of sensitivity.

Would be interested in the setting modes for the standard alarm though. Also didn't get any booklet with the alarm. I know that you press one button to arm the thing, press it again and it switches the motion sensor off, press the other button and the whole thing goes off.

I'd like to have it auto arm, as I'm always forgetting.

BMW Alarm programming...

<P>The left button is button 1. The right button is button 2.</P>
<table ID="IntroTable1" border="1">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="10%"><b>Step</b></td>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="45%"><b>Action</b></td>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="45%"><b>Confirmation</b></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1</td>
<td>Deactivate alarm function</td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2</td>
<td>Ignition ON</td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3</td>
<td>Press button 1 three times</td>
<td>1 x acoustic acknowledgement</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>4</td>
<td>Switch ignition OFF within 10 seconds</td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>5</td>
<td>Press button 2 three times</td>
<td>1 x acoustic acknowledgement</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>6</td>
<td>Switch ignition ON within 10 seconds</td>
<td>3 x acoustic acknowledgement</td>
</tr>
</table>
<P>The programming function is now active.</P>
<P>The number of times the LED flashes indicates the step to which you have
progressed in programming.<br>
An alarm tone sounds as confirmation when you press button 1, whereas an
acknowledgement tone sounds when you press button 2.<br>
The LED stops flashing and four acknowledgement tones sound when you complete
the final step.</P>
<table ID="IntroTable2" border="1">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="10%"><b>Step</b></td>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="30%"><b>Setting</b></td>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="30%"><b>Button 1</b></td>
<td bgcolor="#9c0000" color="#ffffff" class="thtcolor" width="30%"><b>Button 2</b></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1</td>
<td>Beep as confirmation after activation/deactivation</td>
<td>ON</td>
<td>OFF</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2</td>
<td>Not Used</td>
<td colspan="2">Press Button 1 or 2</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3</td>
<td>Type of acoustic alarm</td>
<td>Swelling</td>
<td>Intermittent</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>4</td>
<td>Automatic activation of alarm function when ignition is switched off</td>
<td>ON</td>
<td>OFF</td>
</tr>
</table>

Cheers clive, top information:beerjug:

Any idea what the difference is between a 'swelling' and 'intermittent' tone??

Shame there's no option for electrofying the bike to 20000 Volts:mad:

GSmonkey said:
Any idea what the difference is between a 'swelling' and 'intermittent' tone??

Not sure, I never tried that one. I tried the Auto Set and Beep As Confirmation - but found them to be a real pain - I set it all back to standard after less than a week :)

Back
Top Bottom