Anyone have this happen?

appledell

Reaction score
I think I have been bloody lucky not to have been killed !

Coming home from work at 0500 this morning, stopped at traffic lights and could smell burning. After the last time my bike spontaneously burst into flames I got off and had a look around. Found that the rear brake had shed a carrier bolt and the caliper had ridden forward onto the disc. 5 minutes earlier I was 'progressing' nicely on the motorway :augie

Had the 18000 mile service about 500 miles ago. Bloody thing is heavy to push for a mile :eek::eek:

There is metal shavings which appear to be from the carrier, disc is probably f*cked as well and the remaining bolt was only finger tight (undid the bloody thing without any spannering) Should I contact VOSA? :nenau

Attachments

• P1000324 [640x480].JPG
    P1000324 [640x480].JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 562
  • P1000325 [640x480].JPG
    P1000325 [640x480].JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 565
  • P1000326 [640x480].JPG
    P1000326 [640x480].JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 567
  • P1000328 [640x480].JPG
    P1000328 [640x480].JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 565
  • P1000329 [640x480].JPG
    P1000329 [640x480].JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 566
Regardless of service its the riders responsibility to check the bike regularily.
When cleaning the bike or before a run its good to walk around the bike and check all the bolts. Wheels, calipers, pinch bolts etc.

And yes it has happened to me.

VOSA....................hardly a design fault..................more than likely the dealer mechanic forgot to torque up the caliper bolts to 35-40nM - 500 miles ago:blast

I'd be on the phone to them:(

Lucky to not lock up the wheel:eek:

My guess would be that the caliper bolts weren't torqued up properly after the last service. However, you're going to have a job proving it.

This may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I have a list as long as your arm with faults that have manifested themselves (some 'design' and some just crap manufacturing). Its a shame as its a brilliant tourer and does everything you want it to do when its not in bits or broke down at the side of the road.

Many years ago I had my car in for a service. The following day the brakes were spongy and while sitting stationary I could feel the pedal dropping away from under my foot. So I drove it back to the garage (Ford dealer as it happens) and asked them to take a look. As I needed to get around I hired a car for the day.

That evening I get back for them to tell me that the reason for the problem was that the pipe was disconnected from one of the front calipers. :eek: I pointed out that they had serviced, and provided an MoT for the car the day before, and that the work done had included removing and refitting the calipers. Not only did the garage refuse to accept any liability they refused to refund the cost of the hire car.

In my experience getting any garage to admit that they messed something up is nigh on impossible. Even dealers.

I had a car serviced by a Ford dealer that didn't bolt the seats down properly (this was a straw that broke the camels back as I had a long list of there poor workmanship up to this point), picked the car up and by the time I got home the seats where moving all over the shop.
I got straight on to the service manager didn't accept any monkey in between gave him it with both barrels. He was under no illusion I was an unhappy camper.

Couple of days later they got back to me stating it was there fault the mechanic got distracted bring the car in and we'll sort it out, I told them to shove it as I already had sorted it and I would never use them again, I never did and I activily encouraged the other guys not to use them as well so they lost a shite load of business from us because of it.

You can get dealers to admit they've messed up but don't accept any supervisor donkey go straight to the top and ruin there day.

Have run Rts since 1994 never had a calioer problem front or rear!

I currently control 5 1200rt se 2010 twin cam models which are on the road daily with no problems!

:rolleyes:Tis the dealer meees thinks!:augie

VOSA....................hardly a design fault..................more than likely the dealer mechanic forgot to torque up the caliper bolts to 35-40nM - 500 miles ago:blast

I'd be on the phone to them:(

Lucky to not lock up the wheel:eek:

I agree ...... get on the phone to the Service Manager and advise him what happend. I'd be surprised if they didn't ask you to bring the bike back in for them to give it the once over :augie

I think I have been bloody lucky not to have been killed !

Should I contact VOSA? :nenau

I'm surprised people haven't been reporting the FD failures to VOSA. It is a design/manufacturing fault.

Just look at the money Toyota have spent on recalls lately.

There's a recall on R1200's currently.

16/06/2010 BMW MOTORCYCLES R1200 GS, R1200 R, R1200 RT, R 1200 ST, R1200 GT front brake pipes may leak.

.... and K1300's

24/06/2009 BMW MOTORCYCLES K1300 S/R/GT the braking efficiency of the front brakes could diminish severely.

Irrespective of any inherent probs that R12's may have, stuff like this is a good reason for people to learn something about the servicing basics themselves. FBMWSH matters very little except in keeping the prices high:augie

Right ! B um W are going to replace the carrier FOC as they dont know what could have happened. Fortunately the disc is ok - thank fook it was raining heavily.

Now then, I have a problem with the right indicator (front) saying lampf but the bulb is fine. I stripped the switch and sure enough the seal had perished. I tried to fix it with the 'rubber glove' method but still no worky. They have had it a few days and it must have dried out so it is working again. The tech has no idea what is causing the problem. They do not want to swap the switch as its not under warranty - fair enough? but if its not the switch - what could it be? the ZFE checks out ok but the puzzling thing is - when the front goes off, the back goes off too?

Any pointers please????:tears

Back
Top Bottom