Pogo sticks and GS Tossers - Hertfordshire Green Lanes Sunday 18th July

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
ktm520 said:
Greg are you up for another Herts trip ? I want to test out the new Garmin 60cs gadget.

I can't do this weekend but other than that I am free on any Sunday.

OK guys, Sunday, 18th July - meet at South Mimms Services filling station 09.30hrs.

Who's up for this?

Greg

Bugger it!! I'm at a party the night before. I'll have to miss this one.........................again!

Phil Reynolds said:
Bugger it!! I'm at a party the night before. I'll have to miss this one.........................again!

You tosser! I've got a party the night before too, but it's not going to stop me!

What are you, man or mouse?

:cockeye

G

judge said:

Yes, I spotted that cross-posting!

I suspect that Mr Reynolds hasn't got the stamina that some of us younger blokes have!

:D

Greg

Stamina?????.........................I'll thrash you younger guys at dominoes anytime.................so there!!!

Yup I'm in.

Greg if we plan a route I can put it into my new Garmin 60cs.

Dave

It's do-able but it's the w/e between trip to Ukraine and France so will have to be diplomatic.

Re: Yup I'm in.

ktm520 said:
Greg if we plan a route I can put it into my new Garmin 60cs.

Dave

Dave

It's slightly tricky because Green Lanes don't appear in the Garmin mapping data.

I'm planning to buy a Geko 201 for green laning and intend to mark the start and end of all RUPPs and BOATs as waypoints (by actually going to those places). Thereafter you can just ride anywhere and ask your GPS to point you to the nearest waypoint and from there simply ride from waypoint to waypoint.

Is there a better way?

Greg

Ah ha!

Greg

You could use Memory Map 2004 Ordnance Survey mapping software to mark the routes or waypoints and upload them to your GPS. It's just like using Mapsource but the mapping data is the OS Landranger series at 1:50k. That would save you riding around everywhere just to "mark" the end of the BOATs and RUPPs. The caveat with marking the maps up at home is that you wouldn't be aware of any TROs in force but you'd soon find that out whilst riding. Also, be careful of the RUPPs - these are the ones that are usually being downgraded. Keep an eye out for ORPAs, you can ride some of them.

Your local TRF group may use the same software and already have a dbase of trails that they can email to you.

Dave (KTM520) has the sofware..........

Here's a quick screen shot of MM2004 and a couple of marks. For the observant out there, it's the last trail we rode the other week, just before hitting the pub.

Attachments

• greg01.jpg
    greg01.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 180
Greg,

Finally glued all the smashed bits back on the DRZ so I'ed like to come along

Jim

Will be at the Plymouth-Dakar launch party in Devon :D so i won't be able to make it :(

Bill

Won't get much chance to be on the board tomorrow, so I'll see you all at South Mimms at 09.30hrs on Sunday.

:)

Greg

Greg,

Senior domestic management has arranged a lunchtime out tomorrow so going to have to drop out and just have a quick run up the Ridgeway, have a good time.

Jim

We did Herts

Despite fallen trees and thanks to Gregs map reading.

Attachments

• h1picture061_18jul04.jpg
    h1picture061_18jul04.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 54
But who ate all the pies ?

Attachments

• h2picture060_18jul04.jpg
    h2picture060_18jul04.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 49
For those of you who missed this one (which was most of you) Dave and I had a great day yesterday riding a number of lanes that we hadn't tackled before.

Amongst the more memorable moments was Dave dumping his bike into a deep mud-hole, me face-planting a bank whilst trying a wall-of death sequence through a woody ravine and trying to get two bikes twice across a deep ditch when we came across a chuncky fallen tree!

Good day, grand lanes, great company!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom