Ist gear

simon veysey

Is anyone having trouble engaging 1st and getting quite a clunk between 1st and 2nd?

Is anyone having trouble engaging 1st ............. only when cold

and getting quite a clunk between 1st and 2nd?................. no, but others have reported this. Try using the clutch :D

If 1st doesn't engage immediately, maintain downward pressure on the gear lever and ease the clutch lever out - 1st gear will snick in. Only fractional clutch lever movement wanted.

This isn't unique to the 1200GS: my previous 1100RS had it worse, and throughout the period of my ownership.

Chrysostom

At times the first gear is so smooth that I wonder whether it's actually engaged. Up to second and back down to 1st, even with clutch, can sometimes clunk but nothing like the 1150. Compared to all the bikes I've had most of the time the 1200 is better.

..and now trying to work out how to get one of those stupid smilies over..

simon veysey said:
Is anyone having trouble engaging 1st and getting quite a clunk between 1st and 2nd?

I have not had any problem engaging 1st but I often get a serious clunk from 1st to 2nd. I can't figgure out how to reduce it.

No problems at all

The gearbox on the 1200 is a gem so if you are getting any clunking there is something a miss and a trip to your dealer is required. The previous 850/1100/1150 gearboxes were renowned for being clunky.

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

Re: Re: Ist gear

Rupert said:
I have not had any problem engaging 1st but I often get a serious clunk from 1st to 2nd. I can't figgure out how to reduce it.

If you preload the gearshift lever (by which I mean put a little upward pressure on it -- not enough to shift, but say, 1/2 the pressure requied) before pulling in the clutch, then it won't clunk so badly. And going into 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th will be likewise smoother. Much smoother.

chasr said:
Is anyone having trouble engaging 1st ............. only when cold

and getting quite a clunk between 1st and 2nd?................. no, but others have reported this. Try using the clutch :D

I have the same problem which started at 1800 miles and now I always have to let out the clutch a tad to get it into first gear. I have 2300 miles reading and my 1200 shifts very smooth 98% of the time. This bike is not for everybody! It is not for the beginer. If you don't ride it, it will ride you.

"Its better to give to HoDaddy than to receive from HoDaddy".

I've found on all the beemers I've owned (only 5) that if you pull in the clutch and wait a bit before shifting into first it doesn't like to go. Something about everything not turning. I put it in gear as soon as the clutch is pulled in and no problem. No clunking that I would consider abnormal.

I had a similar problem but only when cold. They changed the gearbox oil to synthesis yesterday and now it is VERY smooth, even when cold...

BTW, am I the only to still give a little acceleration before I shift down my gears ?

Getting it into 1st gear

Yes, it takes a little work. I think that BMW should tell everyone why? It is something that should have been fixed on the design table. This is a 2005 design not 1995! It should go into 1st gear like greased lightniing. This is not a safe condition in the middle of a busy intersection when you find yourself in 2nd gear and have to fight the machine to get it into 1st gear!! really this is just a bit silly/dumb? for a bike that costs this much. BMW owes everyone an explaination!!!!

I mentioned it at the 1st service and was told 'we couldn't find a problem'.

Essentially though letting the clutch out a bit lets 1st engage smoothly, whereas without it, 1st gear simply wouldn't engage at all from cold until the engine had been run for 10-15 second first.

Now it's just about run it the problem seems to have gone away, else I'm getting used to fettling the clutch to suit!

I do know that after two and half weeks in the states I went out on a chilly Saturday morning, praying it'd start okay, and it fired cleanly first prod and immediately engaged 1st gear cleanly - and hasn't been a problem since.

I agree though, BMW should state why their boxers act int his way - it's not as though it shoudl take 80 years to perfect a gearbox and selction now is it? :)

Sometimes mine does not engage first at first atempt, let the clutch out a little and it slots in. I put it down to newness. Be interesting to see if the high milers have got the problem and/or if it gets any worse or better.

1st - 2nd no clunck to speak off, certainly not compared to my last bike. That was like throwing a spanner into a metal tool box from the other side of the garage!

Preloading the lever worked a treat on that so should be the same on the GS.

I've ridden plenty of bikes with a similar "problem", I'm pretty sure it's to do with how bike gearboxes work - they won't change gear unless the gears are moving. It might be worse on the GS due to the dry clutch, which won't drag as much when disengaged, thus not allowing the driven side of the gearbox to rotate slightly. This is why dipping the clutch allows the gear to be engaged.

Of the few things I could fault with my GS, this isn't really one of them.

Compared with BMW gearboxes of the past (eg r1100RT etc) the GS box is marvelous, compared with Jap bikes it's only average. BMW have always made crap gearboxes until the 12GS box which to my mind is quite OK.
Sometimes engaging first is so quiet that I don't think it's in until I look at the indicator, often it need a bit of a kick when cold and sometimes there is a bit of a clunk when hot (but no worse than most bikes). It is a bit weird how it varies so much and going from neutral to second (having let the clutch out in neutral) often produces a big clunk but I think this is the transmission more than the box.
Ceratinly I would say the box is nothing to maon about- but then that's never stopped the winghers before!:D

Back
Top Bottom