Auto clutch

Brucey

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one, Auto clutch that is:augie? quite like the idea as I quite often get cramp in my left hand after a lot of filtering through traffic. Something like the Rekluse ones...http://www.rekluse.com Probably cost more than my bike is worth but....

Just curious how they work in practice. Do you still need/use the clutch lever to change gear? Their FAQ's say no, but would like a users experience.

Chris

Last edited:
Has anyone tried one, Auto clutch that is:augie? quite like the idea as I quite often get cramp in my left hand after a lot of filtering through traffic. Something like the Rekluse ones...http://www.rekluse.com Probably cost more than my bike is worth but....

Just curious how they work in practice. Do you still need/use the clutch lever to change gear? Their FAQ's say no, but would like a users experience.

Chris

They are well rated. They engage the clutch with a centrifugal mechanism linked to crank speed.

My one concern is that it is possible to roll downhill without the clutch engaging. With my riding style I sometimes like to pick my way down a rocky slope with the engine a tickover speed in first or second gear with the clutch fully engaged. With a Rekluse, I couldn't do that.

Greg

I have a rekluse on my Ktm 400 ,i have the base model one with no clutch override so have mounted the rear brake to the handlebars ,it is very easy to ride and you become used to it very quickly .You just change gear as normal and i will fell a bit wierd for the first couple of rides especially when you come to stop and dont have to pull a clutch in.

Yes you can ride down steep rocky slopes as the engine breaking will still work ,the rekluse does'nt actually kick in until a certain numer of revs are obtained .
Just wish they made one for a ktm 690 enduro as then i would sell the 400 :nenau

One thing i will say is ,if you do some greenlanes or anything ,when you stop at a gate or need to get off the bike kill the engine ,it is so easy when you remount your bike to twist the throttle and then you watch your pride and joy shoot off without you on it and dissapear into a ditch or hedge :blast

I've ridden a KTM300 2-stroke with a Rekluse clutch, personally I didn't get on with it, but your reasons for having one are soley to reduce hand fatigue which of course it would be perfect for, you may want to try fitting a new clutch cable first.

Chris

Chris,

The rekluse would work wonders with the GS type bikes. You retain the clutch lever which is a bonus. According to their faq, you should still use the clutch to change gears unless you are competent enough to do clutchless shifts.

I am in the process of installing one on my Dakar.

Great, thanks When fitted and working, please post a report, I am very interested to see how it works!

I have changed the clutch cable already. Yes, it made a difference, but the main benefit is that the old one was significantly worn, so worth checking!

Chris

Rekluse Clutch

Great, thanks When fitted and working, please post a report, I am very interested to see how it works!

I have changed the clutch cable already. Yes, it made a difference, but the main benefit is that the old one was significantly worn, so worth checking!

Chris

I have just bought an X challenge with a Rekluse pro clutch.
It is very early days and i am commuting on it in London, which is great - twist & go at traffic lights with perfect traction & take up.
There are 3 differing models of Rekluse, the new top one has metal wedges & a constant weight clutch lever, mine is the pro with ball bearings and the clutch goes quite limp at idle, there is also a trail model.
The clutch on mine is well set up so it will engine brake down hill, and only release at low idle to prevent a stall, if it does freewheel a blip on the throttle reengages the clutch.
I have yet to really use it off road but it was great on some fire roads.

Back
Top Bottom