New boy

Banger

Reaction score
Ok new boy here, have had a 650 for a while and also own a KTM Duke.
Used to own a GS 1150 but just found them to heavy!

Regards to you all.:D

1150 too heavy??? Steady on OBBO, you'll have the "buxom twins" brigade frothing at the mouth.

Which 650 you have then? Did you see July's T.W.O mag - they did a comparison twixt the 1200GS and the 650GS AND the 950 and 640 KTM's, but I guess you could read it as a 640 v 650 comparison instead!!

Cheers, OBBO.

Let them froth! I found the GS far to top heavy and awful during traffic.
Great bike, but only on nice open roads like on the continent!
"Over the top" for over here.
The 650cc Dak and the KTM are ideal for over here , alot of fun and you can whip round traffic and twisty country tracks much better than the 1150 could.
Tourer yes , offroad and twisties no!

Bring um on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember David & Goliath!:shoot:

:cool: froth :D froth:cool: froth!!
I spose you have to remember that those big lardy twins must be handy for keeping yer toes warm in Winter!!

With the Remus on, the only time there's a performance differential is when you get into 3 figures - and let's face it you don't buy a GS if you only want autobahn speeds. The GS is about all-round ability which the 'mono' gives plenty of!:D

I do miss warming my gloves on the flat boxer but thats it.

I love the singles they have character and if i had another twin it would be a V-twin!

And i like the off-road look . Its funky and Fun not boring and expensive.

OK, help me guys. I'm actively looking to buy a Bee Em and had just decided that a flat twin was the only way to go. Now I'm reading how a 650 single can (often) challenge a twin for performance...

I need to be able to take my wife and some luggage across to the continent, and cruise all day at 70-80mph. Will a 650 do that? I'm aware the lighter bike will handle better and use less fuel, why else might the 650 be a better choice?

This could change my mind....!!!

The Other PaulG said:
I need to be able to take my wife and some luggage across to the continent, and cruise all day at 70-80mph. Will a 650 do that? I'm aware the lighter bike will handle better and use less fuel, why else might the 650 be a better choice?

Yes............................BUT

No disrespect to the 650, being an ex 650 Dakar rider who's gone down thru France and also down thru Spain & Morocco on one, it can do all you want it to - but that was all without a pillion.

BUT. If you're going touring two up with luggage I'd have a very long test ride on one with your wife (& luggage if poss) if you can first.

Personally I wouldn't - hard work, especially compared to 1100/1150's.

Have to agree with above. I had a 1150 and toured with the wife full luggage etc etc and it was perfect , Heavy mind you but it was ok.
A Single would be able to cope (providing your both not to heavy) but the space would be the problem.
Tw up for short journeys maybe so if your plan is little distances say no more than 50 miles a day then you will be OK but anything more than that and i would not advise it.

If the only thing you want to do is cruise, 2-up across Europe, then more cc's make sense - you get a bigger, wider, heavier machine that'll carry you for a million miles and back - all praise the mighty Boxer- it's a great bike.

BUT!!

The 650 will also do that as well as running circles around the heavier bikes on the twisty stuff and giving you over 70 to the gallon. In terms of acceleration, guess which one's faster on initial acceleration??

If you just want long legged cruising then there's no subsititute for cc's.....:)

Thanks, everyone, for that advice. The longer touring is my aim, so all the advice has really helped me organise my thoughts and hopefully I'll buy the right bike. Once again, the value of the e-chat has been awesome.

You all talk such rubbish.

I did a 16000mile round trip in South Africa for two months on a Dakar 2up with luggage and camping equipment, was also joined by my Dad on his 1150Adv, 2up with luggage aswell, and the only time the dakar ran out of steam was on really long gradual inclines when I would just drop a gear and let that rotax motor rev a little higher and the Adventure never really go to far ahead, and the amount of time spent trying to found a place to park the 300kg fully loaded adventure so we would be able to get it upright again was a joke. The 1150 weighs the same as a Harley davidson fat boy and any one who kids themselves by thinking it is really completetly offroad compatable should try riding something diffrent besides green lanes and U.K. country side, while doing offroad on my S.A. trip the 1150 stode no chance in the real ruff stuff, and was even with my Dad riding who is a Enduro fundie and has done some of the toughest enduro rides in the world. So 1150 riders stop dreaming and hit your autobahns.

Dakar69 said:
You all talk such rubbish.

No I did not talk rubbish, how dare you:) .

For european jaunting a single two up aint up to it. RTW why not.

A guy from belgium road the americas south to north on a dr350 why not good choice I agree with him.

and how excatly would a european jaunt differ from doing 16000miles in South Africa, you obviously not riding your 650 hard enough, it is a Rotax motor that does not mind reving high for days on end.

Dakar69 said
You all talk such rubbish, etc etc.
Nice rant :D

Now read "The Other PaulG"'s original question again.

He's saying most of his riding will be touring, so we all say the 1150.

You then start ranting about how crap the Adv is in "the ruff stuff" and then tell us to hit the autobahns.

Isn't that what he's intending to do...................?

I've been round Europe on a Dakar and an 1150 and there ain't no comparison.

If "The Other PaulG" had asked which bike is the best for going round the world and over "ruff stuff" off road he would have got a different answer...............

We all know that the 1150 isn't a serious offroad bike unless in the hands of an expert, which most of us aren't and know it. Stay around this board long enough and you'll see.......... 'specially if you come on a ride out :D

you obviously not riding your 650 hard enough
Crap - I thrashed the bollocks off my Dakar, as did my mate (always handy having someone to play chase with :D)

Get yourself down to the next UKGSer Ace, Mucky Duck or Eynsford meet :thumb

Chaps

Sorry to get you all so rattled, Its just my preference I suppose, just find the 1150GS a little more restricting as a all pupose bike than the Dakar, just think if your preference is to tour at silly high speeds with 2 up and luggage maybe people should be looking at completely diffrent type of bikes anyway. (maybe the RT)

I do agree with all of you that the 1150GS is a awesome machine but I would just class it like a Range Rover that someone owns in London and only uses it to drop the kids off at school everyday.

Cheers

Dakar69 said:
Sorry to get you all so rattled.................
..........I do agree with all of you that the 1150GS is a awesome machine but I would just class it like a Range Rover that someone owns in London and only uses it to drop the kids off at school everyday.

Cheers

S'okay Dakar :D Most probably do treat them like Range Rovers, but there's the odd few who ride them off road,

I rode my Adv down thru Morocco and into the Sahara.

Down there - for 1 day - I wished I still had my Dakar, but for the journey there and back, including some off road (altho not really ruff ruff stuff), defnitely prefer the Adv.

:beerjug:

Jon

Jon

O.K. but when you were in Morroco and Sahara did you stick to the well used tracks or did you ride up and over every dune in the horizon, I completely agree with you on a trip like that the adventure is a better choice as you are covering massive mileage to get there and back and still able to use it in the dirt, point taken, but would not like to get the Adv in soft dune sand, it would be a real handful.

So was your Morroco trip good, Im seriously planning a trip there in August, did you get the ferry across.

cheers

"but would not like to get the Adv in soft dune sand, it would be a real handful"

gsrr-sand.jpg

:D

Yes but, PW, that bloke's clearly 8 foot tall and built like the proverbial outhouse - so he can stick the buxom twin under his arm and walk out of the desert single-handed!
This pic is more realistic!!!
flying.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom