what to look for and what to expect

mandon

Reaction score
Good day,

Im thinking of replacing my r1150 gs with a gs 650, because i thought im getting to old for that heavy bike. Im having a hard time moving out of the garage because of the weight of the 1150. It so happened that one guy want to exchange his gs 650 with my 1150. what are the things that i should look for? hows the maintenance etc...any input would be appreciated...

tia

Can we assume ...

... that you are talking about the F650GS Single cylinder model and not the post '08 Twin cylinder jobbie ?

The singles are built on a Rotax engine which is incredibly tough but like all engines it'll need regular maintenance so that'll be your first check. They come in both single and twin spark, but the plugs are hard to get at and often neglected. A little mechanical noise is to be expected in an older bike but they do perform best in the upper portion of the rev range, for which you might need to use earplugs. Cycle parts wear out, particularly chain & sprockets so a scottoiler would be a bonus.

The taller 'Dakar' models have larger front wheels, more off-road capability and command a premium.

There is a dedicated forum here which is free to use and full of helpful peeps :thumb

Its a single with twin spark and heated grips. Its not a dakar, what worries me is when i went for a service i saw a dakar with a busted rear suspension...and being a bmw i would presume its costly.....might be the same with the 650 gs

thanks for the reply

ah depending on how abuse it any bike can blow back end.

but plenty aftermarket avail anyway

........ Cycle parts wear out, particularly chain & sprockets so a scottoiler would be a bonus.........

But I've had my 650, single cylinder 2002 model, for over 7,000 miles now and have no scottoiler and have not even had to adjust the chain so far.

i got both

Hi -I am new to (any) forums ...so forgive any etiquette (or spelling) errors. But I have both an 1150gs and and f650dakar - I can tell you that the dakar is an absolute joy to ride - compared to the 1150 (which I do also like a lot) the 650 is "simple " and "carefree " . With the bigger bike you have be carefull and acutely aware of the weight all the time - on the 650 you can relax and enjoy the ride - you will not be dissapointed - even the perfromance is enought to have loads of fun ..good luck ::comfort

Back
Top Bottom