R1100RT

R1100RT things to look for.

If it is going & riding ok, the only thing to look for is the clutch. If slipping due to abuse, it takes 24 man hours to fit one. If it is slipping due to oil ingress from the gearbox pushrod seal, allow another 6 man hours to fit seals in the gearbox.
At BMW dealer rates, the above repairs are uneconomical, though easy enough to do if you are competent to do them yourself.

Most annoying feature: As sold, the engine will not run with sidestand down, even in neutral. Many are modified so that they will do so, though, like later bikes, the engine should stop if a gear is engaged.

A brilliant bike. I crossed Germany 3 years ago on one, covering 500 miles in 6 hours, stopping 3 times for food and fuel. Cruised at an indicated 120.
As anyone doing this discovers, the limiting factor is not how fast the bike will go, it is fuel consumption. Go any quicker, and journey takes longer due to additional fuel stops.

Myke

I've done 62k on mine and it has been superb.

It has never let me down and has toured Europe every year for past 12.

The tupperware can hide rusty mischief, the shocks are probably gone by 40k (Wilburs transformed mine), and the exhaust will go eventually. The lights are crap - HID conversion recommended. Otherwise it seems to last like as car. (Why should we not expect a bike to last 100k+?). Most RTs are owned & maintained by B.O.F's so are still in good condition and are a safe buy. The panniers are still waterproof on mine.

Riding:
The more aggressive your cornering - the more it seems to like it. "Ride it like you stole it". Over 100mph they get winded and lose puff, but up to that they will hold on to most bikes. More character than a Pan. From 65-85 mph on an A road one can get into BMW mode (steady speed, no braking for bends, swing right and left) and I can (and do) ride 500 miles + all day. About 45mpg. 6k miles from front & rear tyres.

They can look immaculate, but under the fairing it can be (and usually is)a completely different story.

Fork seals leak, and on the RT the hand bars (not handlebars) are screwed onto the top yolk with three bolts and have to be removed to replace the seals. Good luck.

The stands can wear badly. And as mentioned, the exhaust rots and can be a nightmare to get off.

The electric wind shield motor can seize.

Beware of high or low or uneven idling speed, the idle screws seize in the throttle bodies and so the idle can't be fine tuned.

Lovely bikes to ride during the winter, excellant weather protection, low seat height so both feet can be planted on the floor, handles a bit different to a GS, falls into corners but you get used to it. I'd have one.
Pay close attention to clutch adjustment, lots of slipping clutches on 1100 models are due to wrongly adjusted clutches.
Unfortunatly once it's been slipping for a while adjusting it correctly is usually too late to save the clutch having to be replaced.

I have had 2, I agree with all the above comments and as Steptoe says can be messy beneath the fairing, but easily sorted if you are prepared to spend the time and very rewarding to do, use proper paint and primers and you should only need to do it once

Before
r100rtbefore.jpg

After
R1100rtafter.jpg

In France a couple of weeks ago,
h38.jpg

I,m biased but I think their a beautiful looking bike, they have no vices, or particular problem areas, they are simple to maintain, and cheap to run, they are as capable as any current BMW tourer for a fraction of the cost (I had a R1200RT for 5 years), give a bit of TLC and it will outlast you, hope you find a good one.

Back
Top Bottom