Lights off on GS12

JayGee

Reaction score
Maybe I'm imagining things but I seem to remember a post saying you could turn off the lights when powering up the bike, does anyone know anything about this or have I had too many beers?
Cheers JG

I think it goes something like: switch on ignition, hold down right indicator button for 10 seconds then start. Reverse procedure to put them back on again. Same routine with left hand indicator button for sidelights when the bike is in steering lock mode.

Or, just keep fiddling till you find it, its got something to do with the indicator switches and the ignition switch sequence. It does work cos I did one day, but I have forgotten, senile dementia seems to be kicking in sooner than expected:D

The procedure is as follows:

1-Ignition on

2-Hold indicator cancel switch for 4-5 secs.

3-Hold right indicator switch until it stops flashing (4-5 secs.)

4-Start engine

Voilà

Saludos

GSmonkey said:
why switch them off:confused:

For normal riding I guess it's quite pointless, but for example if you're taking photos of the bike, a bright light shone into the lense can make taking the picture a PITA (at least for me, Reggie might disagree, but then again, he gets all the girls).

Also, if you're off road on a clear bright day, alone, there's really no point in shining the light is there...? :confused:

But for road riding, switching lights off is a less bright idea... (s'cuse the pun :p )... at least IMO.

R1150GuS said:
The procedure is as follows:

1-Ignition on

2-Hold indicator cancel switch for 4-5 secs.

3-Hold right indicator switch until it stops flashing (4-5 secs.)

4-Start engine

Voilà

Saludos

Thanks I'll give that a try, but how do you turn them back on?

JG

PS Can't really think of a valid reason to turn them off although I know some bikers reckon it's safer on the road, something to do with bright lights affecting judgement of distance and a bump in the road making the lights appear to flash and inviting a car to pull out. I'd just like an old fashioned switch and then I could decide for myself. When riding in a group a lioght off is a good signal that you are stopping/in trouble/want a break etc.

Hi

It is necessary to turn lights off at some track days. Some organisers only like instructors only to have lights on. I have seen taped up lights on a newish 1150GS craze the glass because they got so hot under the tape.

To be able to turn off the lights is a valuable tip or you would have to take out bulbs.

Quentin

And then the bike would presumably be flashing the "unhappy bulb" symbol at you all the time! :)

There are certainly situations on the public road where having the headlight on can make you less visible - it's called active camoflague, for example a bright light against a bright backgound (eg the sun low in the sky) can be very hard to see. But luckily these situations are quite rare, I think.

JayGee said:
Thanks I'll give that a try, but how do you turn them back on?

John Armstrong said:
To turn them back on I'd guess if you turn the ignition off and then re start the bike?

That's it :thumb

In step 3 the right indicator will not flash as I said before, at least it didn't when I tried on my bike, just wait 4-5 secs more. Sorry someone lied to me :shoot:

Saludos

Back
Top Bottom