URGENT: Metzeler Enduro 3 or Metzeler MCE Karoo?

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
I'm on my way up to Moto Plus at Casablanca tomorrow morning to pick up a new rear tyre for the Tenere as my TKC80 has had it.

I have the choice of either the Karoo (€105 :( ) or the Sahara 3 (€135 :eek ).

I've read the tyre FAQ and neither sound particularly brilliant. It will have to do another 1500 miles in Morocco, then I can fit new TKC80s in Spain if necessary.

I'm leaning towards the Karoo. Any thoughts?

Tim

I don't like the Sahara 3, but if you only have to cover 1500miles either will do.
Given the choice I'd go for the Karoo.

I've never tried the Karoos, but as the X Challenges come OEM with Sahara 3 enduro's I thought that I would try them on my Tenere when I had it.
I thought that they were great, plenty of grip, stable etc etc. I was using the bike to commute to work last winter, so fitted the tyres after the snow had gone but the roads were still greasy, ice rinks.......worked fine on the road......not too sure about off road though, probably ok in the dry!

Consider the Karroo 2's if you can, they sound like a better tyre than the older Karroos. I've got a set fitted at the moment but it's early days and these are my first knobblies for my 1150. I've done about 500 miles so far, both offroad and onroad and not had any 'moments' or complaints. They cost about half as much as TKCs.

I'm a big fan of the Sahara 3's. Apart from being a bit vibey that grip very well on and off road.

I fitted Karoos on my 1200GSA last year and did 2500 trouble-free miles in Morocco... got them put on in Algeciras before I crossed over.
Fitted TKC80s the previous year and had the front bead break and the tyre come off the rim... very scary when you're doing 70mph round a bend at night :eek:
It may be that I'm totally insensitive, but I really couldn't tell the difference between the two... apart from the Karoos being 2/3 the cost.

tyres

Karoo T (2) are almost 2/3 the cost of TKC80 and have lasted really well and i've used them more on the road than off this summer/autumn, very good going round corners too :augie

Back
Top Bottom