SEAT PROBLEM

dizzyrascal

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently bought a 99 R1100 rt with only 18.000 miles on, I have a GS 1100 and was going to trade for a newer 1200 but after a few test rides decided that the 1200 was different but not better. Any way to cut a long story short saw the RT up for sale and for a lot less money than part exchanging my GS I now have two bikes.
My problem is that the seat is a bit of a pain particularaly if two up, I find that sliding forward can damage your prospects !! Anyone found a solution it is is spoiling for me what is otherwise a really good bike that I have plans to do some touring on next year.:confused:

Try removing the two rubber bumpers at the back of the seat - works well on the 1200RT

When the R1100RT was first produced this was noted as a problem. It wasn't addressed with the R1150RT-series bikes either.

An easy fix is to remove the riders seat mount from the frame and fit some spacers under the front part to re-align the angle, so that the seat is more levelled out. Either a stack of washers will do, or make a suitable spacer from plastic or plywood strips. I used a couple of the plastic wedges supplied for levelling UPVC window frames and drilled holes in them to allow the bolts through. The wedge needs to be about 10mm at the front, tapering to almost nothing at the rear. Remount the bracket using longer bolts into the frame. It's also possible to cut down the height of the rear rubber 'bobbins' to drop the back of the seat, but sometimes this can make fitting the pillion seat difficult.

At the time the R1100 and R1150RTs were current bikes, there was someone in the USA selling a ready-made kit, comprising of moulded plastic wedges and long bolts, called 'SeatJacks'. You may be able to find some old stock or secondhand, but it's easy to make your own. HTH!

You'll be thankful when you make your first emergency stop!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom