950 SE as only bike??

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to pick the brains of the Super enduro owners here, i'm currently restricted to 1 bike, which is an xchallenge.

While it's a pretty good bike, i can't really go out and play with my mates on their big bikes.

So i'm toying with the idea of changing it for the big loony KTM.

I've already ridden one around part of last years cambrian rally circuit, and liked the power delivery and found it manageable. (if a little on the tall side:augie)

So what are these bikes like for day to day use? i miss my GS, but i couldn;t get the kicks on the dirt that i get from the XChallenge. and i couldn;t live without those!

Any maintenance issues??

nathan

I had a GSA and an X-challenge and ended up with the KTM Super Enduro:D

The reason for my change was that I wasn't using either bike enough to warrant having both so went for something hopefully in between. Which ever way you look at it you have to compromise something to have just one bike, and then still end up modifying the bike to make it better for your needs.

I did a trip earlier this year which made perfect sense for the SE, but I have made other trips in the past which would'nt have been so good for the SE.

No matter what you do the SE will not be as good as a GS for long distance touring, but if you want to ride high miles to get to somewhere to then hit the dirt then it is hard to beat.

The engine is very addictive!!! I started a trip to Sweden with an OK rear tyre and it was screwed by the time I got there:D

As far as I am aware the biggest issue with the KTM 950 is the fuel pump can fail, but it is easily replaced. I have also heard of clutch cylinder issues.

I also had a GSA and a XC but had always wanted an SE so when i spotted one at the right price i jumped at it :D

They are mad on the road very addictive, On road tyres with standard gearing they will do 140 mph :augie, The acceleration is awesome, I trashed a set of soft enduro tyres in about two hours on the road trying to keep up with three lads using hard dessert tyres.

Off road they are tall, The trick is to keep moving, On fire roads they are fantastic, On the more technical terrain as i said keep it moving, let the bike do the work, the weight, Power, torque will pull you through, The hard bit is when you get stuck in deep mud, They are a heavy bike.

If your going to do a lot of road miles with a few off-road miles you might be better of getting the Adventure but if you want a tool for offroading with the occasional road ride then get the SE. Get the SE, If you then decide you want something more road oriented sell it and get the Adventure. I love mine a real kick in the pants after the XC :thumb

Me at the the Cambrian last weekend :D
Web_2802.jpg

Back
Top Bottom