Which DR Z to buy

Homer1968

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks can anyone help me out on this? Im looking for A DRZ 400 but dont know which to go for, either the E or S models.
Basically i want it for green laning , off roading and general muddy fun.
Im a complete off road novice and been tracking a few of each model. Is the S as good as the Enduro off road or would i be better with a less bonkers S model

Cheers in advance :)

An 'S' is an ideal first trail bike.
Fitted with mirrors and indicators, it will help with the move from road biking to trail biking.
Easy to ride and maintain, cheap to buy abnd easy to sell.......
You can shave some weight off but concentrate on bike control and then move on to a lighter bike asap.

T.

I was in the same boat back in 2005...everything I read said "S" would be ideal for me..proper clocks and ultra reliable.... (the "E" is ridiculously noisy even with the STD exhaust, so not very green lane friendly)

I bought mine did all the usual mods then pretty much all of my local lanes became "restricted byways" so ended up using it as a commuter instead :)

thanks for the PM about mine...yes I still have it and yes I ought to get on and sell it as it is not getting used at all since I got my Diesel car for commuting instead

I have PM'd you back

i have an e model for sale,
pontefract,,,,on, the road, i use it 50/50 its a great bike ,
not that noisy, pipes aftermarket, and modded internally, less noise, full power....
but i wont be usin it much now my offroad partner isnt here,
i can give you my no if interested

i have an e model for sale,
pontefract,,,,on, the road, i use it 50/50 its a great bike ,
not that noisy, pipes aftermarket, and modded internally, less noise, full power....
but i wont be usin it much now my offroad partner isnt here,
i can give you my no if interested

I know a lad in the market for an 'E'..... PM me the details.:thumb2

not a member now, i dont own a bm anymore,
but im on thumpertalk, digger2006, its goin on sale there soon

not a member now, i dont own a bm anymore,
but im on thumpertalk, digger2006, its goin on sale there soon

PM me on there then dude... 'Timpo'
I'll forward the details to my pal.:thumb2

Timpo.

+1 for the 's' model, cracking little bike. If you can get a new-ish one then snap it up as they're maki no more. :eek:(

OK - for greenlaning I've got to pipe up for the E Steve.
As we've already spent conciderable time together I recon an S would only leave you wanting more knowing your riding style & what you've mentioned of your sporting past.

Lighter, more power & a larger fuel tank.
If you bought an S wouldn't you always think you should've bought the E?

Only downside I've experienced is some anxiety when turning right with no indicators 'cos braking & indicating is not possible without dawdling.
Other than that I'm happy with my decision (& have never thought of fitting indicators).

20110.jpg

Timpo & Knobby giving my E a quick 'service' .

904287969_Qq9mp-XL.jpg

Is there any difference in the seat height between the E and the S?

From what I've found using google, there seems to be about 1.8" difference between the E and the SM bikes, and I know I can easily get on the SM, and am happy with the amount of my feet that's on the ground.

I think they are Conti TKC80 front and Bridgestone TW302 rear..... maybe wrong though.

Might be tempted for my DRZ SM. I had TKC 80 rear with a pirelli front a couple of years ago but had to give them up as they were an MOT failure. Radial and cross ply or something.

Plus its real hard to find something chunky to fit the front wheel.

And it looks all wrong but right if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom