MBW Off-road course - yeah!

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whoooooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!, I'm off to play in the mud on the MBW off-road course on 7-8th August. Got it cheap through Dave Halsall and saved a hundred quid:thumb result!

So who else has been & done it, and what hints and advice can you give?

ta very much

:D

You'll be in for a right load of top fun then! Drink plently of water and don't wear any warm bike gear. Phil, your off-road bike clothing will be just the job.

First morning you don't do much riding, it's all about how to handle the bike. After that is when the fun starts.

Give my regards to Plumie and Simon.

Roy.

Well Phil

It's all over now. You sure looked as though you were having a gas in Wales on the course. You are a smooth rider and you should be proud of how well you did. Thanks for joining us and I hope to get a green lane outing with you and Greg Masters arranged soon. I'm racing my XR650 in the Dawn to Dusk at the end of August so I'll be spending most of my spare time until then prepping my bike. We'll get out in September for a day in Herts or Surrey if you like. We could have a KTM 520 XR 650 shootout!

Best wishes
Dave Halsall

I'm booked in for September down in Wales, can't wait. Should I take my Shoei Raid, or my synchrotec II?....and how do i find out if its E2205 if there's no markings???

No one checks the helmets anyway. Good tough boots with plenty of strong ankle support and hard knee and elbow guards are more important than a hi-tech lid. It gets hot and physical on the bike. Wear an off road (open face) helmet with sunglasses or goggles to give you plenty of air circulation on the face. You will not be riding fast, it's the low speed spills that break ankles and legs all the time.

I'm sure that you will have a great time. You can rent kit from the school if you warn them in advance.

Dave

Thanks for that, i've just e-mailed world of.....to book in some boots!!

Dave Halsall said:
No one checks the helmets anyway. Good tough boots with plenty of strong ankle support and hard knee and elbow guards are more important than a hi-tech lid. It gets hot and physical on the bike. Wear an off road (open face) helmet with sunglasses or goggles to give you plenty of air circulation on the face. You will not be riding fast, it's the low speed spills that break ankles and legs all the time.

I'm sure that you will have a great time. You can rent kit from the school if you warn them in advance.

Dave

NOW YOU TELL ME!!!

:D

T.

p.s.: Sent you an email via the Sawbridgeworth enquiry email address. THANK YOU!

With off road boots, always order one size bigger than your shoe size (Simon Pavey will know that anyway). Hard plastic, skateboard type, knee and elbow guards work well under or over clothing. Rather than damage good kit, you could get away with jeans and a long sleeve shirt with a jacket in a rucksack in case it rains. They will offer you bottled water. Drink plenty and you can carry two extra bottles with you jammed in the bike's rear carrier. Just swop empty for full bottles each time you pass the hospitality unit (every couple of hours). Take sun cream and wear lightweight gloves (also rentable).

Oh, hello Tom

How are you feeling? Thanks for the e-mail. I was sorry to see you in a cast on Sunday morning. You are a brave man and a good sport. I'm sure that you will agree that leg protection is pretty important! You were very unlucky and I'm sure that you will complete the course if you try again once the bone has set.

Best wishes
Dave

Hello Greg

I'm sure that Tom would prefer NOT to have a photo of himself on crutches posted on this site. I will post some action pics when they are available. Your mate Phil had a good time and was smiling every time I saw him. I think I carved him up on one of the gravel roads and almost put him in a ditch! He was kind enough to forgive me so I didn't do it again.

How's the DRZ going? Popped a front sproket seal yet? (They all do that sooner or later).

I see Dark Horse now has an XR400 (good man).

I've upgraded (?) to a 'breathed upon' XR650 with a KTM front end, Ohlins rear end and now producing 67 bhp on the dyno. It does 80 mph wheelies and scares the living daylights out of me. I'm sure I was faster on my XR400 as it did not spin up the rear wheel at 90 mph! It will be a sod to ride in the Dawn to Dusk later this month but I like a challenge!

Dave Halsall said:
How's the DRZ going? Popped a front sproket seal yet? (They all do that sooner or later).

I wrote to the MD of Suzuki GB and asked him if, in view of this well known problem, I should put a stainless steel output shaft spacer on to protect the seal, or would they honour the 2 year warranty if I kept the original mild steel item in and it went rusty and ripped out the seal.

They said that they would honour the warranty.

But, beleive me, when the bike is 2 years old, I will be putting a new seal and a stainless steel spacer on the bike!!

greg

Hi Phil,

Evidently you enjoyed your weekend in Wales, I passed you on Sunday morning at about 9.00am on the A4067 just ouside Abercrave.

Twas a rather large party by all accounts, about 28 in all.

To Mr Masters (or is that master misters??)

Hiya Greg

If it was me, I'd change to a stainless bush on the DRZ BEFORE the seal pops. It's a pretty simple job to do (simply remove the front sprocket). When the seal goes, it will spray copious amounts of oil over the rear wheel before you even realise what's happened, trust me on this one, I've seen it happen. This could make your life interesting as riding speedway style in traffic is sure to thrill!

Best wishes

Dave

Back
Top Bottom