WOW !! A 'brand new' 1977 Harley XLCR for sale !!!

Thats a nice bike, but what would you do with it - i for one would be scared shitless of riding it.

It could only be a display bike going up in value, you'd have to be nuts to ride it.

and what are you doing looking for Harley's ???? :augie

i used to think they looked really nice. on the very rare occasions i see one now, they look fecking awful.

a lot of ill fitting parts nailed together, and having ridden them when they were new, i can say they ride like that as well :barf

Got to agree with Cookie, heap of sh1t when it came out and so I'd guess it is still a HOS:nenau

Built in an era when the Sportster was the worst Harley made by far.

I can remember looking in my local dealer when I was a lad and seeing two of these together. The dealer kept one for himself and sold the other one. However, next to it in the showroom was a Mk1 Guzzi Le Mans. I knew which one I preferred then and my opinion hasn't changed now.:)

I think late 70's was when Harley produced some of their worst bikes. As said above, it looked nice from at least 100 yards away but got worse as you got closer.

That's some advert....think he covered most angles....:D

Wonder if they copied BWM or vice versa.... wit winker buttons.. :confused:

i used to think they looked really nice. on the very rare occasions i see one now, they look fecking awful.

a lot of ill fitting parts nailed together, and having ridden them when they were new, i can say they ride like that as well :barf

Same here except I've never ridden one.

Andres

and what are you doing looking for Harley's ???? :augie

it comes to us all :comfort

:D I stumbled upon a thread about it on ADVrider.

But I actually owned a Harley waaay back in 1985,at the tender age of 19.

It was an 18 month old XLH1000,last of the run of iron barelled Sporties before the Evos came out...with four speed gearbox,spin-on oil filter and fitted with an alternator.....it also had straight through drag pipes and a tiny perforated pancake air filter...went quite well and sounded like Armageddon. ;)

When I bought it,it really messed with the heads of my teenaged mates who were knobbing about on LC 250/350s,X7s,RD400s and GS550s :D :D.

I rode it across France to Switzerland....TWO UP :eek...where the border guards had a thrombo at the pipes and filter and only after a big discussion did they let us into Switzerland.

Got rid of it a few months later but wish I still had it now. :(

Anyway....what really wows me about that XLCR is the 'time machine' aspect of it....regardless of how 'good' or not someone perceives the bike.
And bear in mind when judging it that it is from over thirty years ago.

To me,boxed and 'as new' finds like this have a tingle of excitement and pure nostalgia value above and beyond any other factors.
Remember those early 1980s Suzuki Katanas found still crated and boxed...or the similar 'brand new' but 26 year old GPz900R in a local shop?
Fantastic to hear about...amazing to look at and remember 'the days'.

I have dozens of old model kits,still boxed and unmade...and never to be made...which give me pleasure just to look at,and to hear the parts inside (some are still sellophaned from the 1960`s/1970`s and I`ll never even open them)..and bring back distant but pleasant memories of gazing at the whole range of kits on the model shop shelf when I was a kid.

As Kaister said,I too would be afraid of using it or leaving it parked up somewhere....but even if it spends the rest of its life at Classic Shows or being gazed at and polished,I think it`s a hell of a find.

Hope it goes to a good home.

To me,boxed and 'as new' finds like this have a tingle of excitement and pure nostalgia value above and beyond any other factors.
Remember those early 1980s Suzuki Katanas found still crated and boxed...or the similar 'brand new' but 26 year old GPz900R in a local shop?
Fantastic to hear about...amazing to look at and remember 'the days'.

They make me sad, bikes are built to be ridden. I'd rather see one of these in good condition with 100,000 miles on the clock. That would take some doing and the patina of age would add character.

This is just a rich man's penis extention that has been sat in a glass case. It'll be completely knackered as all the hoses will have perished and it's probably rusted solid inside.

Still, pretty to look at I guess :(

as i recall, harley dealers couldn't give the things away when they were new.

harley riders didn't like them 'cos they weren't "proper" harleys, and "normal" motorcyclists didn't like them 'cos they were rubbish.

yet...

they seem very sought after now :nenau

as i recall, harley dealers couldn't give the things away when they were new.

harley riders didn't like them 'cos they weren't "proper" harleys, and "normal" motorcyclists didn't like them 'cos they were rubbish.

yet...

they seem very sought after now :nenau

a bit like british bikes, then :D

I worked for the Harley dealer in Edinburgh in '76/77 and we had a CR in stock. It spent most of its time in the shop window of Boots the chemist, in Princes Street, as advertising for Brut aftershave. I think that Brut were giving one away as a prize.

Once back at the dealers, the CR sat in the backshop, unloved and unwanted. If I remember right, it was never sold, and it was eventually returned back to the importer.

Shortly after, the dealer stopped dealing in Harleys and took on the BMUU dealership.

Kaycee

Back
Top Bottom