The Ridgeway - What bits are "Open"

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Talking to a work colleague today and it turns out many years ago he volunteered on maintaining the Rdidgeway.

I thought it was just a local track, but now know it is apparently the oldest "road" in Europe and about 60 miles long.

Does anyone know how much of this is still open or where this information could be obtained, I would love to try to cover it (or the open bits) next summer.

I would be interested in that as well, may have to change the tyres though as put roads on recently.

If my memory serves - it's all closed this time of year, then in the summer a few small bits are open at the south end. Bicycle is the way to do it, not motorbike. :(

Link was spot on it is all here:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Ridg...e recreational vehicles can use May 06(1).pdf

It looks like there are only three stretches of about 5 miles left open now, from the 87 mile total length.

As stated most of that only May - September, only one little bit is open all year (about 1.5 miles)

My workmate did tell me dickheads in 4x4's deliberately abusing the routes and digging it up badly led to many closures back when he was working on it (about 15 years ago) and like he said it is a shame as the route is supposed to be a road, not a f**** cycle track.

My workmate did tell me dickheads in 4x4's deliberately abusing the routes and digging it up badly led to many closures back when he was working on it (about 15 years ago) and like he said it is a shame as the route is supposed to be a road, not a f**** cycle track.

Ooooo don't get me started about that. If you saw some of the farm vehicles that use The Ridgeway all year round and in all weathers I think you'd quickly realise who it is who does the most damage :augie

ridgeway

In Oxforshire the Ridgeway is fully closed to traffic. You can cross it if on a Byway ie Aston Tirrold to West Isley.

Berkshire Ridgeway is closed from end of Oct to beginning of April. (You might check on that).
We normally would start at Streatley and then go towards Lambourn via byways as per the OS Map.

The GIS site on Down and Dirty section gives info on byways in seperate counties.

In Wales yesterday. Now that was muddy. Managed to pull my Hamstring when foot slipped forward on short wet grass. A real Bummer.

cheers

clive

What's "Down and Dirty"? I've not heard of it before and nothing seems to turn up in the searches I've done.

I used to drive the Ridgeway in my Land Rover when it used to be open to vehicles (only when it was dry as I show my Land Rover at mil veh shows).

But the usual dross ruined it for everyone by driving it when it was soaking wet just so they could get their vehicles covered to look "cool".

It's a pitty as it does give the suspension a good work out. Trouble is, all the byways that are left are being made "Restricted". Another case of Big Brother Brittain. Contrast our situation to that of Canada and America where 4x4 and bike owners are positively welcomed to drive the great outdoors.

Ah yes but then again they don't have that cnut Ian Ritchie and all his bellend mates in the 'Friends of The Ridgeway' and 'Ramblers Association' banging on about how The Ridgeway should be an unblemished green pathway for their exclusive use :mad:

It is a f**** road, bet he would get far more upset if we rode on the pavement - twat!

There are millions of nice places to walk your dog and such like, I love the countryside and don't want vehicles all over it, but there are plenty of great places to walk your dog away from vehicles.

This is a famous and historical road and keeping it open to traffic celebrates that, once no vehicles are allowed it surely is no longer the oldest road in Britain and just a collection of fields.

Rasher, are you in the TRF, as it sounds like you should be.... both for your own benefit and that of the TRF's. I reckon you could be quite handy..... you have the venom in your typing......

T.

http://www.trf.org.uk/

Ah yes but then again they don't have that cnut Ian Ritchie and all his bellend mates in the 'Friends of The Ridgeway' and 'Ramblers Association' banging on about how The Ridgeway should be an unblemished green pathway for their exclusive use :mad:

Ah the "Ramblers".....:blast

What a bunch of enviro warriors. The same people that walk through farmers fields in groups of 50 with dogs running everywhere. When I was in the East Northants Land Rover Owners Club in the early 90's we used to give up our weekends off to help maintain the Green lanes we used. We supplied the labour and the council supplied the materiels. I've never seen the Ramblers giving up their free time in the same spirit. They are too busy getting everyone banned who like an engine to do the work instead of their legs...

Back
Top Bottom