How do I lower the gearing on an 1150?

Nick

I want to do this, so have been thinking about fitting a final drive from an RT or RS or whatever. Any one tried it?

There's a California guy call CrAsH on the Advrider list who was the pioneer on this. He swears that it has made his bike a whole lot better.

I don't think that there is anything trick about this conversion. But consider the cost of parts (new appears to be megga bucks) and the labour (either yours or £££s for a dealer) in doing it. You can always practice with what you've got!

Greg

Ta. Do you know how much the parts are? Thought I might perform the labour bit myself, with a qualified friend at hand.

OK, had a good read at advrider.com, and the 850R final drive sounds irresistible. Now I just have to find a cheap way to get it. In my ignorance I thought I'd just be changing a cog, not the whole housing! Lots of bucks....

I spoke to Motorworks, some time ago, about swapping the bevel drive on my 1100 for a RT or RS item. The units are interchangable but you will loose the mounting brackets for the GS's rear mud catcher and if you have an ABS bike you will need to make sure the replacement drive unit has the ABS mount. There is also the possibility that the unit may be a different colour.

Motorworks List 2nd hand 850 GS Bevel Units for £187 + VAT and other models for £238 + Vat, You would need to ring them for availability.

:beerjug:

Replace the final drive with one from an R850GS. CrAsh fitted one from an 1100GS to his 1150 but IIRC has now fitted one from an 850. This effectively gives the same spread of gears as found in an 1100GS but across 6 ratios.

I've had extensive email correspondence with ADVrider subscribers about this mod and initially bought an 1100GS FD from Motorworks for £280. Before fitting it I realized that I really needed the FD from an 850 and am now on their waiting list for one. Secondhand hand they are rarer than etc etc. New they are about £500 from Motorworks. Fitting is another matter: when I had my drive shaft replaced, removing and re-fitting the FD was about £40. The drive shaft attached to the FD must be retained as the splines on the 850 are not the same as those on the 1150. Swapping involves leverage with a large screwdriver (according to the ADVrider site.

I can't wait to have it done as I am totally pissed of with riding an otherwise competent bike that doesn't have a first gear.

Rgds Richard

Back
Top Bottom