Ride For Respect 3rd April 2011

les049

Reaction score
Anyone planning to attend the Afghan Heros Rides next year?

I did the event this year and it was something very special, would like to think that the essence that this event is organised with will not be lost this coming year.

Only thing is you specificaly state what time you intend to get there, this year it was an absolute nightmare getting onto and off the airfield.

Would like to meet up with other GS'ers before moving onto the airfield etc.

I'll not be giving to them this year as I too am uncomfortable with how the charity is run and how funds are released (or not, as the case may be).

I'll give the money to the RBL instead where it is at least transparent what happens to my donation and its not confined to casualties of just one conflict.

Royal British Legion Riders Branch

Well I never !

Quite shocked to read those responses from you 2 guys !

I must be very niave in this matter as all i did was turn up for a ride to show support for the what seemed like a good cause.

If anyone can shed some light on these allegations i would be interested in hearing them and thats not from a stand offish point of view but a genuine interest.

Out of interest I am also a member of the RBLRB having served 22 yrs in the army all I ever intended to do was give a little back.

I'm told that the RBL helps all the victims and their families from whichever conflict, whereas the Help fo Heroes is more specific.

I have no idea about how they distribute their cash, or otherwise but I would like to think that all victims / families were given help.

I am not sure how true this is though but feel that the RBL is more established and the 'Help for Heroes' charity is a newer 'sexier' brand image, which I'm not quite sure about.

I'm currently serving and returned from Afghan a fortnight ago, I'm also a member of the RBLR (check out my thread on the Riders). My point is that through the riders I acted as a marshal at last years ride and saw some of the benefits on my tour.

The organisation that day was split between numerous organisations and we were well and truly overwhelmed by the numbers that turned up.
The money was used to send gift boxes to all personnel in Afghanistan during the last tour, NOT what I was expecting. I can't comment on the allegations that money dissappeared.

What I do know is that I won't be rushing to get involved this year, and if I do, I'll be doing some checking first.

Davel, just to avoid any confusion; Help for Heroes is a different charity to Afghan Heroes. It is Afghan Heroes who organise the Ride of Respect that I have reservations about.

As for why I have those reservations, initially because they have not filed accounts and we are not talking a piddling amount of money here given the success of the ride last year. Without filing accounts it isn't as transparent as I would like - a purely personal opinion.

Giving to a charity is always an emotive issue but given the vagueness around this particular one about what they have or haven't achieved I prefer to steer clear at the moment. I would rather put my tenner towards real, tangible aid - my preference is to give solely to the RBL - than possibly sending goodwill parcels to the frontline.

I suppose the bottom line is if people want to take part in the experience of the Ride for Respect and are not too concerned about what the money is used for it is a good day out but its not for me until my reservations have been quelled.

Which charity to support is a personal decision. As I'm based in Tidworth which is the home for "Help for Heroes", I have an obvious connection however I prefer to support the ABF-The Soldiers Charity. The ABF funds all sorts of initiatives for all soldiers who have returned from any conflict from any point in time not just the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.

Having said that I have registered on the "Afghan Heroes" ride next April. I didn't realise there were any concerns over the funds raised from last year so I will be keeping an eye open for news on that subject.

I'll be there

I was there this year too. I stood on the runway at Hullavington with another guy from CW's. He was an ex Royal Marine, I was riding in memory of the lads that didn't come home from my nephews Commando unit. I mentioned that I would never ever want to be stood on the side of the road to watch my nephew return home in a hearse!

Sadly on the 1st of August this year my nephew (a biker like many servicemen) was killed instantly by an IED. I will be riding in his memory this time. Subsequently over the last few months I have met many of the lads from 40 CDO who are returning home with appalling injuries. This money hopefully will go to easing some of their pain.

RIP Marine Adam "Ads" Brown, dearest nephew and godson.

I was there this year too. I stood on the runway at Hullavington with another guy from CW's. He was an ex Royal Marine, I was riding in memory of the lads that didn't come home from my nephews Commando unit. I mentioned that I would never ever want to be stood on the side of the road to watch my nephew return home in a hearse!

Sadly on the 1st of August this year my nephew (a biker like many servicemen) was killed instantly by an IED. I will be riding in his memory this time. Subsequently over the last few months I have met many of the lads from 40 CDO who are returning home with appalling injuries. This money hopefully will go to easing some of their pain.

RIP Marine Adam "Ads" Brown, dearest nephew and godson.

A very sad story cheffy..I did this ride last year and also the RTTW on my GS I am also ex-army and will be there to show my respect to all the boy's and girls..Kind regards. Paul..

I have heard rumours about certain charities but can't comment about their accuracy. Its a sad fact that these things happen and even the rumours can damage peoples confidence in contributing. I'm happy with the legion riders and trust their honesty,so I'll stick with them

A very sad story cheffy..I did this ride last year and also the RTTW on my GS I am also ex-army and will be there to show my respect to all the boy's and girls..Kind regards. Paul..

Thanks Paul, not sure about the money allegations; but having stood on the side of the road at Wootton Bassett and watched a loved one come home I can testify that the people of that town really know how to show respect for the fallen lads and their families. I spent 24 yrs in the MOB and have never known sorrow like it, not even when I lost a best mate on HMS Sheffield.

I will be riding just to say thanks to the lovely people of Wootton.

I participated in the event last year. And it was certainly an experience on such a large scale...I've also heard a few rumour's but have payed up and will be hopefully riding this year in the 10-11 slot on a bright yellow 1150. I wanna show my respect. Just hope the charity itself hold's up their end...:adv:

Afgan Hero"s

Ye signed up,for the 8am to 9am slot,looking forward to it missed out last year(bust left leg).see you all there...:thumb2

Last edited:
Some mates and I are on the 1100 run from the airfield. We leave the Oakdene lay-by at 0830 sharp.

A little sad to see that there are suggestions that money has disappeared or misappropriated. Maybe we can see some evidence before the shit starts to stick?

I am not a member or even former member of the armed forces. I thank myself lucky that all conflicts since I was born have been handled by a volunteer professional service, whether on the land, sea or air. I go to show my respect for the men and women that have served the country.

clarity

Afgan Heroes raises money to send gift boxes out to the lads on tour in Afganistan.
It is as far as i know now a registered company.
as far as i know there are over 300 forces charity organisations.
you pays your money and takes your choice.
I am on the early slot 0700 0800 but i only live in Malmesbury 4 miles from Hulavington and on the route if anyone wants to meet up at my place before or stay the night before we have plenty room for tents and even a little space on the floor for a sleeping bag or two. after we were planning a BBQ during the day and a few drinks in the evening.
http://www.afghanheroes.org.uk/homepage.asp

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom