Royal British Legion Riders Branch

sibarksy

I know I'm new on here but I've already seen that there are other members of the RBLR here so please take the time to read this if you are at all interested in helping serving and ex-serving members of the Armed Forces.

The Riders are a national branch of the Royal British Legion, founded six years ago and with a membership in excess of 3,600 across the UK, Europe and the USA. We are not a bike club but simply a group of riders (everything from Harley's to race reps) who help to raise money for the RBL.

The Legion is the only charity that supports every single serving and ex-service person, regardless of their time spent in the forces and the conflicts they experienced. They work independantly and in conjunction with other service charities to provide care, support and assistance as required. The Royal British Legion is also aiming to mark it's 90th anniversary next year by raising £90 million pounds so please check out the link below.

www.rblr.co.uk

RBL

".....The Legion is the only charity that supports every single serving and ex-service person, regardless of their time spent in the forces and the conflicts they experienced....."
I have been a member of the RBL for 16 years and in fact was chairman of the Lyon (France) branch for many years. However without wishing to detract in any way from the work that we do it is important to recognize that there are other organizations such as SSAAFA etc who are also concerned with all service and ex-service persons.
(I think I might join the Riders Branch AS WELL!)

I joined the RBLR after doing the RBLR1000 in June this year. I've already booked on to the 2011 RBLR1000. Since joining I've bumped into other members all over the show and what a great bunch they are. I'm sure there are many charties that help support servicemen and their families. But the Legion is probably the best known and quite possibly the oldest.They must be unique having a riders branch with 3500 plus members.

As an RBL member of 20 years I have considered joining the Riders section, but to do so loses my membershp to the club I am affiliated too, and as such I don't won't to remove my support for that club. Its only a small local club and although I rarely get there since moving back home I like to think my membership subs help a little.
Always thought the riders group would do a lot better if you could join it in addition to your normal club.

Why not join both ?

As an RBL member of 20 years I have considered joining the Riders section, but to do so loses my membershp to the club I am affiliated too, and as such I don't won't to remove my support for that club. Its only a small local club and although I rarely get there since moving back home I like to think my membership subs help a little.
Always thought the riders group would do a lot better if you could join it in addition to your normal club.
According to their website
To join the Legion, you pay an annual affiliation fee of £11.00. Individual branches may charge an administration fee on top of this. All County Branches charge a £1.00 administration fee.
The National Branches you can join on-line are:................
* The Riders Branch (£5.00 administration fee) - total £16.00

I wonder if the Rioders' Branch would waive the admin. fee if you are already a member and will not require another magazine? Shall I ask them or will you?

I'm pretty sure they will fettle it for you if you drop them an e -mail

Have spoken to them at two difierent shows and got the same answer, basically you give up your membership to whichever club you are affiliated to to affiliate to them, and I don't want that. I'd add them as a second affiliation if I could but as I understand it thats not possible.

Have spoken to them at two difierent shows and got the same answer, basically you give up your membership to whichever club you are affiliated to to affiliate to them, and I don't want that. I'd add them as a second affiliation if I could but as I understand it thats not possible.

This seems peurile & totally unnecessary. Shame, as the RBLR & RBL should be one and the same, surely? :nenau

It is my belief you can be a member of 2 branches or more as long as you pay the affiliation charges for both, in effect you then have 2 or more memberships.

However, membership of one Branch allows you to use the facilities of all branches so as An RBLR Branch member you can still use your local RBL Club Likewise you can still ride with the RBLR as an RBL member you you might not gain access to the RBLR forum though unless you are Affilited with the RBLR.

Give the head office a bell...:thumb

Riders Rest is correct - you can be a member of however many branches you wish in the RBL as long as you pay your subs for each branch. I don't believe you would get a discount in the form of waiving the branch fee but you could ask.

As a member of a branch (any branch) you can then, for a couple of quid at most, become an affiliate to any of the RBL Clubs (which are different to branches and any costs involved in running them does not come from the RBL - they need to be self supporting).

Best to clarify with the branch membership secretary (Andy Downer for RBLR) but I'm pretty sure the above is correct and up to date.

Well I would have thought that it would be sensible to allow you to join more than one. I have no issue paying an extra fee for a second club affiliation. But as I said I have asked twice, unless this is a newish change.
Next time I see them at a show I'll ask again.

This seems peurile & totally unnecessary. Shame, as the RBLR & RBL should be one and the same, surely? :nenau

I think your missing the point they are one and the same !!

You can join for instance the RBL Edgeware Branch, or Southampton Branch or Enfield Branch (where I happened to be the other night) the Riders Branch is just that its a branch of the legion the only difference is that it dosent actually have a building to run, the members of the branch meet at events organized, the agm of the branch is hosted by a branch with actual buildings, it seems to work quite well we have all the normal officers that any other branch has, the big difference is that without a building to run we manage to raise considerably more for the legion than just about any other branch

And yes you can be affiliated to more than one branch if you want to

Back
Top Bottom