Winter green laning on a GS in Leicestershire

going home

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go out on some green laning (gentle, unrutted but untarmaced lanes) in and around Leicestershire this winter. Does any one with a GS want to join me. Mine's and R12 GS with TKCs fitted. I've done a bit of green laning out by myself but feel safer if out with other people. I was thinking of the odd sunday morning out.

I'd prefer if the bikes were similar as I don't want to feel I'm holding people up from doing the kind of stuff that lighter more off road focused bikes can do.

I've done a couple of weekends at the BMW off road centre in South Wales and chose to ride a 12 GS so feel fairly confident but am by no means expert.

I live in South Leicester.

Ayup mate, I`m up in the Peak District and would like to come down and sample some different lanes.
Your welcome to come to the Peaks when the snow clears.
Plenty of GS friendly lanes up here:thumb2

Gaz

I run an 1100 on Tourances and have done a few lanes around Leics. -only in the dry though cos of road tyres ;)

Done a few fords as well :augie though I'm not a big fan of submerging hot vented shaft drives :eek:

Post any proposed dates up whenever, i'm sure you'll get takers (inc. me if I'm around :bounce1)

CoGS

Done some green lanes around Ibstock/Shackerstone area on my Tenere. Now moved on to 1200 GSA. Would like to tackle them on this so long as there not too muddy.
I keep a look out for the dates.

I fancy doing a few more green lanes on my R80GS
Got Avon distanzias on it, so it's not too bad off road

Lettuce snow when you plan a ride :thumb2

GS friendly green laning

That's good news. I think it's sensible to wait til the temp goes up a bit (if it ever does that is) then I'll post a date. I've done a couple of the lanes around Hallaton/Glooston/Market Harborough in South Leicestershire so am happy to venture out to these.

I notice that some other lanes have been posted so I'll try and get something together around those and let you know.

Im defo up for that

Hi

I'm in the same predicament as you, 12gs on tkc but no one close with a smiler bike or desire

where exactly are you? I'm in Earl Shilton.

pm me if you want my contact details.

Ian

Shilton?

There's the green lane twixt Mallory and the A447 t'wards Stapleton for a start.

South of Leicester the foremost lane is the Gartree Rd. not as good as it used to be (lot been 'graded) but still good for a laugh.

I found a great one just east of Melton last year but it might be a struggle on a GS (deep 4x4 ruts) - a good 6-7 miles though.

Yes done that one straight forward and not rutted

Also on the 447 above ibstock in line with normanton Le heath (graded west and rutted east

b4114 NR sharnford roman road to wards high cross very rutted in places :(

Mill lane shilton to wards the quarry (track/unsealed road)

Ive been investigating a few round south Leicester in the hope of stringing together a decent run nothing to hard just some different surfaces and landscape and do what someone did for me and get a gser on the dirt for the first time without the expense/worry etc

Where is gartree rd?

hopefully when its a bit dryer ill show you what i have discover or get some Tkc's and come help my investigation. :thumb2

Routes

I was going to post GPX. file of lanes I know, but don't think I have permission to insert attachment! No [Manage Attachment] area.How do you go about getting ?

i live in the vale of belvoir,there are plenty of good green lanes around here but at this time of year they tend to be very rutted and muddy,iv tried a few on my gs 12 and it can be a bit of a struggle,it would be worthwhile contacting the trf to see if any off their members are outnabout,ive been out with them a couple of times and they know their way around these parts.

if you come up with some dates we could get the o/s map out and have a look see,some of the viking way is ok thou they have closed parts of it,ill bet there is a local tosser who knows the lanes round here well enough to lead a run.im up for a few hours playing.mike.

30th Jan for a bit of off road/green laning

Apologies for the silence but I've been away.

How does the 30th of Jan sound for a ride out. Thought we'd meet at the Petrol Station at the end of the Harborough by-pass at 10 am and go and find some routes around the villages near Market Harborough.

In the attached zip folder you can find some .kmz files (open with Google Earth), which look like contenders. Thanks to cafemaestro who uploaded them in March 2009. You can also find Cafemaestros whole thread on the following link.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180337

Please let me know if you are planning to come. Please also check this thread on the evening of the 29th in case the weather looks like it might ruin it.

Attachments

• off roads in Leicestershire.zip
    12 KB · Views: 287
Meet address

Not that familiar with market harbough so can i have the address/location of the meet up in more detail. :thumb2

are we still meeting at 10am ? is a earlier meet possible as i need to be done mid afternoon (family crap:()

Ian

Not that familiar with market harbough so can i have the address/location of the meet up in more detail. :thumb2

are we still meeting at 10am ? is a earlier meet possible as i need to be done mid afternoon (family crap:()

Ian

Me too.

Though I googled.
'the Petrol Station at the end of the Harborough by-pass' at 10 am and came up with this
= Petrol Stations & Forecourt Shops in Leicester > Malthurst A6 By Pass SSTN ... 01858546000. Melton Road, MARKET HARBOROUGH, LE16 7TH view on map ...
So assume this post code will get me to the garage.:nenau

Google Map Location of Petrol Station

Click on or copy and paste the link below in to your web browser it should appear on google maps.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52....2.510873,-0.941874&spn=0.001678,0.004115&z=18

There is also a Macdonalds on the site together with a hotel.

I have checked some accesible byways and County Roads with the Rights of Way officer at Leicestershire CC and have noted them. We can perhaps have a quick coffee, check over a map and set off.

PM me if you want my mobile number otherwise I will see you there at 10 on Sunday.

earlier time not poss for me

Hi Ian

I'm struggling to get there before 10 but as its the first one, I wasn't planning to do more than 3 hours or thereabouts. You should be home by mid afternoon.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom