Norway Tales, Part One....R1200GS Collapsed Final Drive....

Dutchman

Reaction score
Just back from our epic journey to the Nordkapp & back.....two 1200GS's made the northbound leg, only one returned.....

On Sunday 11th July, 1847 miles from Edinburgh, we reached the North Cape of Norway, a dream of mine for about 30 years and a trip some 10 months in the planning.......even though it was foggy when we arrived, the feeling of fulfilment was tremendous, but somewhat short lived.....

As always we took zillions of photo's which will get posted in due course....

We turned south, with about 12 miles to go to our overnight hotel at Kamoyvaer when disaster struck!

I'm riding with Gina as pillion and a full complement of luggage when I feel the rear end of the bike wriggle a bit......dry roads, no great speed.....50-55 perhaps.......took some bends, light braking, gentle acceleration and there it goes again......wriggle, wriggle..........

Having ridden bikes with both a loose rear wheel and a rapidly deflating tyre....the feeling was all too familiar........but I was still not convinced there was a problem....

Got safely to the hotel, unloaded the bike & checked in to the hotel.

Then I kicked the back wheel.......and was horrified to see about 4" of lateral movement at the tyre......did it again, just to convince myself I wasn't dreaming.........and sure enough the only thing stopping the wheel falling off was the caliper holding onto the brake disk....

Inspired by a thread on Advrider just before we left home, I had double checked the wheel mounting bolt torques just to make sure they were good & tight....so I had little worry about the bolts coming undone.

Closer examination revealed that the disk had worn, metal on metal with contact on the caliper mounting.......and it had all the hallmarks of the rear drive bearings having collapsed. I knew our Nordkapp Oddysey had come to an end.

Being aware that we were about 400 miles from the nearest BMW dealer at Tromso, I telephoned BMW Assistance with some trepidation, early the next morning.

Within two hours, the bike was taken away by a local recovery company and we had a Ford Transit rentavan.....no replacement bikes available!!

Our companions left us after breakfast and we headed south in the Transit......not before lengthy telephone conversations with my supplying dealer, John Clark (Tayside). BMW GB and faxes flying everywhere......

We were unable to rendezvous with our fellow GS'ers that night, at our next scheduled stop, mainly because at had been arranged for us to swap the van for a VW Bora.......still large enough to carry all our hard luggage, accessories, inner bags & riding gear.....

Next day we continued on our planned biking route, not much fun doing a bike trip in a fekkin' car......but at least we made it to Svolvaer on the Lofoten Islands where we caught up with Peter & Pauline and an amount of red wine.....

BMW Assistance have allowed us the use of a car to continue the tour, paid for the Alta hotel and the extra fuel, tolls etc incurred by using a car instead of a bike......and again arranged a swap of car at Mo I Rana......Renault Laguna estate this time.........all the way to Bergen.

Within a couple of days (literally) after I uttered the useful phrases 'I'm rejecting this bike because it's not fit for it's intended purpose' and 'I'm rejecting this bike because it's not of merchantable quality' in the direction of BMW GB (remember it's six weeks old with just over 3000 miles in total).......we had some great news: We were being given a brand new 1200GS and financial compensation for the ruined second half of our holiday.

The 'old' GS is being repatriated back to Dundee for repair (& onward sale as a used bike, so buyer beware:ST04VOC is going to have major mechanical surgery before appearing gleaming in a showroom near you.....)

My new GS arrives at JC's tomorrow (22nd) and I'll be collecting it on Saturday, complete with custom paint job........beak, tanktop & side panels in a rather fetching shade...........Fjord Grey, of course..........!!

Sincere thanks are due to Mark Wilkie & Brian Malcolm at John Clark (Tayside) & Shevani Ramnath at BMW Customer Service for making the new bike happen so quickly and for everyone at BMW Assistance Europe for making the whole episode as painless as possible.....

All that remains is for BMW to take a close look at the rear drive bearings/quality/design to try & ensure that there is no repetition......?

Pix to follow....

Cheers

Dutch

Shame about the trip but sounds like proper customer service...........and you'll have a version 1.1 12gs too :D

:thumb

Hi Dutchman, sorry to hear about your ADVENTURE!!! Glad to hear your both OK. Just as well you stopped when you did, or something much worse could have happened.

Brother and I are off on a 3500 mile trip in September, must say this story does not fill us with great confidence. My shaft drive has a lot of slop in it and is quite noisy when riding slowly (clunking/shunt). Hope our Adventure doesnt end in the same way as you. :( :(

really wish for the best Dutchman - at least there was a rather ok reaction from BMW side

surely they are looking at the problem for the future but if there aren't 1-2 more cases (which I believe there are - they are just not internet documented) serious like this already, I don't expect any change before the next 2-3 months (so the bike you get today could be V1.1 allright but it's V1.2 you need) - I hope it's not a major design flaw because then we are all out of luck

did by any chance any BMW guy give any possible explanation?

---

ah btw, you see what happens when you make angree a Greek man with black eyes born a Saturday... (and no I don't do voodoo) :p

It seems is something to do with being Dutch (even by adoption in this case) because a few days before we were in our way to the same destination, Nord Cape, and the same happens to Flying Dutchman's Adventure.
Interesting to note that we had the same quick response from BMW Rescue and BMW UK and the dealer, Vines, accepted full responsability for the damage....

Excellent Customer Service all round !

Yep,

I had the same problem on my way to NorthKapp. My breakdown occurred as we disembarked of the ferry at Christiansand.

BMW Recovery were with me within 20mins and took me to the local BMW dealer. Unfortunately as it was a Saturday afternoon and we could not locate any of the bearings we needed so I’d have to wait until Monday. Rang back BMW Recovery who organised a VW Polo rentacar and put me up in the Radisson SAS in for 2 nights.

The bike was fixed by Monday afternoon and I was on my way. Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the NorthKapp but I had a wonderfully time touring southern Norway.

The bike was no longer under warranty (ran out in Feb 04) but after discussing it with Duncan Bell (Vines of Guilford) he arranged with BMW UK for a full refund of the repair bill +/- £400.00.

Shame about the bike failing me, But under the circumstances excellent customer service from BMW Recovery, BMW UK and especially Duncan Bell and Vines.

there was a 1200 GS in CW's a few days ago with the same problem, do I hear recall?
:confused:

What are the engine/chassis no's of the bikes that have failed?, maybe the owners with 1200's in question can maybe tell if there is a batch of faulty final drives out there just waiting to happen?

My new GS arrives at JC's tomorrow (22nd) and I'll be collecting it on Saturday

This is amazing. How did you/they manage this? Are you getting a cancelled order?

Garfieldus said:
This is amazing. How did you/they manage this? Are you getting a cancelled order?

It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.........& it's not a cancelled order.......;)

BMW Customer Services @ Bracknell have a pool allocation of unregistered bikes which they use for just such occasions.....they even managed to find one in the exact spec of my 'old' one......:D

Cheers

Dutch

Yosi, I'm not Dutch but I was in Holland on the bike in the last fortnight....

Darryl, I expect that might have been my (red) one at CW's - took it down Tuesday morning for BMW techie to ride. Should be picking it up early next week.

I sincerely hope they are fitting an improved version. They said there can't be a lot of trouble with the drives, as there are none in the country - they had to source one from Germany. Or maybe they've run out of stock over here?

Dutchman said:
It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.........& it's not a cancelled order.......;)

BMW Customer Services @ Bracknell have a pool allocation of unregistered bikes which they use for just such occasions.....they even managed to find one in the exact spec of my 'old' one......:D

There's more to it than that.. There is some extra allocations coming through.. Friend got one last week, less than a week after expressing interest.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, pleased to see issue resolved to your satisfaction.

Sorry to hear this (both Dutchmen.. from another).

Now we know why those bikes are so expensive... imagine all the cost BMW had to pay for rentals and hotels, labor, parts, etc....

There's more to it than that.. There is some extra allocations coming through.. Friend got one last week, less than a week after expressing interest.

I noticed the same thing in France. I was supposed to get my 1200GS end of September, beginning of October, and now it seems that I will get mine early September. My dealer was puzzled as the factory is supposed to be closed in August. It is not a left over or a canceled, they just got 2 more beginning of September.
I just hope it is not an "old" bike.

Any idea that would explain why it seems that 1200GS are suddenly "more" available ?

The Machine Cat said:
Any idea that would explain why it seems that 1200GS are suddenly "more" available ?

Yes, they are no longer guaranteed for travel north of Oslo, so all those heading for Nord Kap have cancelled thier orders!
:hapybnce: :hapybnce:

The Machine Cat said:
I noticed the same thing in France. I was supposed to get my 1200GS end of September, beginning of October, and now it seems that I will get mine early September. My dealer was puzzled as the factory is supposed to be closed in August. It is not a left over or a canceled, they just got 2 more beginning of September.
I just hope it is not an "old" bike.

Hey... another one in Paris !!!! That's 3, shortly we'll have to write in French...

The Machine Cat said:

Word is the workers are willing to put in extra time in place of vacation. They are actually doubling production because of the high demand.

This from an article in OTL, a US-based pub[lication]. :)

Back
Top Bottom