Air Temperature Gauge Way Off

the beer hunter

Reaction score
A mate of mine has a 1200RT
On a recent Austrian trip he kept pestering us all to tell him our air temperature readings.
Turns out the air temp sensor on his RT is massively off scale (5°C or even more). He's already gone twice to his BMW dealership and twice he got the same reply: they all do it, no point starting a warranty claim.
The cause given is since the sensor is inside the fairing there's, and he is quoting, "a hot air pocket" that drives temperatures up.
Could be, but he suspects BMW would have come up with a fix (a few extra lines in the firmware for example) given their attention to details.
So... do you know if this is true or is he being sold b0lloxs?

Thanks. :beerjug:

GSRT.jpg

Why not simply relocate the sensor? I expect that it is only a thermocouple.

I have a Wunderlich temp guage on my bike which over reads before even starting the bike then shoots up with a hot stationary engine.
It's just not important or get your mate an abacus:thumb

I always thought the air temp readings were from the intake air, inside the filter airbox.Could be wrong????

on a GS the sensor is under the beak. seems to be pretty accurate.

The early 1200 RTs had the sensor above the back wheel (Strange but true) and were hopeless (5C error sounds about right depending on the weather!). BM came up with a number of updates and eventually moved the sensor to the front of the bikes inside the RH fairing. I think the later models had the sensor up front from scratch.

After the move, mine was pretty consistent though it did overread slightly. It only gave sensible readings when moving as the hot air swirling around when stationary could give strange results.

Mine was out by a little when I inadvertedly pinched the cable following the HID installation. Has the bike been fettled recently?

Mine was out by a little when I inadvertedly pinched the cable following the HID installation. Has the bike been fettled recently?

He hasn't mentioned anything but I'll ask.
My mate lives in Italy - I'll pass on the positive replies. :thumb

I think he just wanted to know if it was a common problem.

Back
Top Bottom