Yamaha Off Road Experience

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob

I've only ever really ridden off road once, and that was 30+ years ago, so I thought I'd give in another look to improve my general skills on 2 wheels (done the IAM etc.):moped::tarka

I came across the Yamaha Experience (http://www.yamaha-schools.co.uk/) and fancy having a go:blast

Has anyone out there done this course that would like to share their experiences.

Cheers

Mike

I have only done the BMW basic one. But I have heard the Yamaha one is suppose to be good. If its in the same place, they have an indoor off road track to use.:)

I did the one in West Sussex....it fookin' near killed me.....Motocross circuit....not competitive? yeah..right! I came back with forearms like Popeye...and a healthy respect for those nutters who can actually ride 'crossers at any pace....:D

I did this with Geraint Jones in Wales a few years ago and it was excelent and nice scenery too.

http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/about.htm

I would like to do it again one day.

Mike

I did this course a couple of years ago and found it much better than the BMW off road school. A massive plus is the bikes are real world off road machines and as such are much easier to ride. Head and shoulders above the BMW course imho.

I did the one in the South East. I really enjoyed it but wouldn't call it a course - just an experience. The Moto X track was fun, but not really ideal for learning trail riding skills or riding a bike off road. I think the BMW course was better for that.
There was too much testosterone at the track ( and that was only the girls!) - people trying to ride fast rather than learn HOW to ride fast.
I would definitely suggest you give it a go as it is great fun - but not as a way of learning how to ride off road unless you fancy trying out enduro riding.

I did this course a couple of years ago and found it much better than the BMW off road school. A massive plus is the bikes are real world off road machines and as such are much easier to ride. Head and shoulders above the BMW course imho.

Agreed, I did an Enduro course with them about ten years ago, you could bring your own bike which slashed the cost to £80 for the weekend. I guess it's a bit dearer now but a fantastic course and well recomended:thumb

If I was to attend one, it would have to be the Geriant Jones's school.
The area alone is beautiful, a great advert for riding in Wales.....
Book it, go there and enjoy, but make the instructors aware of your experience, don't punch above your weight. Listen to them carefully and put into practice their sermon.
Most of all, feel relaxed on the bike, stay fluid and move with the machine..... the techniques soon come to you and then it is practice to refine them.
You will have one or two spills, so wear as much protective kit as you feel comfortable in.

Thanks all.

The appeal of this one is they have regional venues, and the one in Bolton is only 20 miles down the road.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks all.

The appeal of this one is they have regional venues, and the one in Bolton is only 20 miles down the road.

Cheers

Mike

You'll be able to limp home from there:D

I did the Yamaha Experience Course in September this year and would highly recommend it. Had a great day with a good teaching/riding balance and the trainers (Dylan & Wyn Jones) were excellent; they didn't spend the day showing off their own skills and any advice given was constructive and simple to understand. As has been said the area the course is held on is great (Hafren Forest) and there is something for everyone.

I tried this last year with a few other tossers, at the Bolton venue. As someone with no offroad experience at all, I mean really none, I found it a useful introduction. Not much in the way of tuition but an opportunity to spend a day practicing on someone elses bike. As the day progressed, more challanging bits were introduced (well to a novice anyway) The guys running it seemed to know their stuff and I came away feeling a little more confident and able to tackle a green lane or 2.
They didnt have enough bikes for 1 each but that was a blessing as it meant time for a break and to watch the others. It was much more tiring than I thought it would be.
The bikes and kit were clean and well presented

Nick

I did the course with Geraint in Wales a few years ago with my son and had a great time, would definately recommend it. I had no real off reoad experience at the time and subsequently inspired to get a DR and do some greenlaning.

I've been up to the Joneses place about 3 or 4 times a year for the past few years running and can't recommend them highly enough, best money you can spend on training. The tuition is excellent and caters for all levels, from sportsman racers to complete novices alike. Going back there in January, if you decide to go for it tell them Mark and Nicky send their best!

Thanks all.....must book early in the New Year.

Thanks again

Mike

If I was to attend one, it would have to be the Geriant Jones's school.
The area alone is beautiful, a great advert for riding in Wales.....
Book it, go there and enjoy, but make the instructors aware of your experience, don't punch above your weight. Listen to them carefully and put into practice their sermon.
Most of all, feel relaxed on the bike, stay fluid and move with the machine..... the techniques soon come to you and then it is practice to refine them.
You will have one or two spills, so wear as much protective kit as you feel comfortable in.

Another vote for Mr Jones's Schol here!

If you dont fancy Wales they having been running a training day with REME for the last few years.

I've done it twice and would totally recommend it, great value for money!

The big bonus is you'll get to learn on something capable but also light and easy to pick up - all day long :eek:

I did the one in West Sussex....it fookin' near killed me.....Motocross circuit....not competitive? yeah..right! I came back with forearms like Popeye...and a healthy respect for those nutters who can actually ride 'crossers at any pace....:D

+1

Ive done this one too, 8 of us booked the whole track for the day, limited tuition just haD fun :thumb2 we were all fecked by the end of it and we stayed in Brighton but were all in bed (alone) by 9pm :blast

I bought a bike to do some off roading,green lanes.Bought the gear to protect me and the bike.Then searched the maps of Devon for byways.Should have checked the maps first I guess.I couldnt find a single byway,just a reference to them in the key.Guess Ill have to join another club now.TRF or something.I wish I could ride a horse!:blast

Back
Top Bottom