Fan Mail, Stonehenge and The Overlook Hotel...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
23rd July

I wake early and, going out to the bike, see someone has left some fan mail. There's a post-it note tucked into the filler cap flap:

Mike O, I have been reading of your travels via the Internet for several months. If you need a place to stay in Clarkesville, WA, ypu are welcome in my home, Rex Bashaw

I've got my first bit of fan mail - or is it my first stalker?:D (actually, I think Pierce was the first :p).

Unfortunately, I'll not be able to take Rex up on his generous offer. I'm aiming to be within easy striking distance of Aloha, Oregon, tonight - I'm due there tomorrow lunchtime to get my tyres fitted.

I pack the bike and I'm soon on the road, heading down the 95 towards Lewiston. Do you remember the Old Spiral Highway?

6474088-L.jpg

...well, it's just as good to ride with shot shocks, an unreliable rear tyre and warped front discs :D - A great road...

I then join the 12 heading west, which follows the Snake River to begin with...

6474090-L.jpg

...I think I'd re-evaluate the trim on that lighter before I set off...

Soon the road climbs away from the Snake and I'm in apparently endless wheat-fields...

6474092-L-1.jpg

...I watch a couple of crop dusters plying their trade, but they're too far away for a decent picture.

Eventually I join the 730, and start down the south eastern bank of the Columbia River...

6474095-L-1.jpg

I carry on to Interstate 82, where I cross over the river and re-enter Washington...

6474098-L-1.jpg

...this is all old ground - I've been this way twice before. However, I managed to miss this on both occasions...

6474100-L.jpg

...built in 1929 to commemorate locals lost in the Great War, it's the exact size and layout as the original on Salisbury Plain. But in reinforced concrete. In Oregon.

As I continue down the Columbia River Gorge, my next target looms out of the heat haze on the horizon...

6474104-L.jpg

...Mount Hood. I've been here before as well, but the weather was diabolical. Today is quite the opposite - it must be in the high 90s F, and I stop regularly to re-hydrate.

I cross the river at the Hood River Bridge...

6474106-L.jpg

...and make my way along the 35 south and, eventualy, reach the Timberline Highway...

6474110-L.jpg

...and Mount Hood is looking impressive...

6474114-L-1.jpg

...as is the entrance to The Overlook Hotel - or at least, where they filmed 'The Shining'.

I get back on the bike and head off towards Portland. I stop for the night at the Best Western at Sandy. I'm completely knackered and stand under the shower for a long time...

6475999-L.jpg

6474113-L-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom