If no Vern's available, what's the next best?

BigCol

My fellow bikers:

I need panniers 'soon' for my ADV; and if the immortal Vern isn't going to make them anymore (i.a.w the rumour mill), what are the next best things for my three week trip around Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iran? I've done my searching (no whinging about doing this pllleeeeeezze! :rolleyes: ), but never before in the field of human pannier testing have Verns been excluded.

Your thoughts please, as always, are much appreciated.

Kind regards

Colin

I have plastic(???) Hepco und Becker cases. I called at Motobins en route to the ferry a couple of weeks ago and tried their aluminium cases (forgotten the name but the single skin type). I was very impressed with the build quality and apparent robustness of them. I might be tempted next year.

I also tried their new Gobi range that are double skin and can carry a water supply in the gap between the skins. They look great but I rarely go anywhere where water supply is a problem...it usually rains on me or my pillion pisses up my back.

Al Jesse

Is the premium brand pannier.
And it just so happens i have a set for sale.
See the for sale section.

Attachments

• al jesse 2.jpg
    al jesse 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 728
as you can see

These have the additional carriers on back front and top of both cases.

Attachments

• al jesse 1.jpg
    al jesse 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 713
And

All the wee bits to fit em.
Incl exhaust extension,rear foot peg extension.
and a wee bag with some spare parts.

Attachments

• al jesse 3.jpg
    al jesse 3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 709
And if that doesent suit sir !

There are two different types of touratech panniers
on the for sale section.One with a Wudo lowering kit which
does away with the heat from the exhaust problem.
And one standard Street version.

Thanks for the replies everyone;

Dave: I like the look of the Gobi's but no one has any info on them apart from you (I asked on a previous post). I'm tempted to go down the Jesse route, as most people on the ADRider website like them and they seem to give a pretty good service

Civil one: thanks for the info and offer of your Jesse's, but I'm a bit confused about what the guys are inferring on your post and why? Please write more info.

Anyone else use Jesse's or any other suggestuions? Much appreciated

:coold

Colin

Confused ? Inferring?

Dont be one bit confused the only man that is confused is Micko
as per usual he has,nt got a clue what he is talking about,cos if he did ,he would,nt have said they are,nt Al Jesse bags.
I am not sure who is inferring what ? that may be Micko inferring that they are not Jesse bags,i can assure all concerned that they are indeed manufactured in the U.S.A by Mr Jesse himself.

Re: Confused ? Inferring?

the civil one said:

I am not sure who is inferring what ? that may be Micko inferring that they are not Jesse bags,i can assure all concerned that they are indeed manufactured in the U.S.A by Mr Jesse himself.

Nobody said they weren't Jesses. They said they're not Jesse Milleniums or Jesse Odysseys.

Correction !

Micko said it .
If you all know what they are not ?
Then it would not be unfair to ask you know alls what they
are ?

Ummm this is an interesting idea:

So if I want to sell a Car, I will tell you the manufacturer and how much I want for it, you have to guess the model/age/no of previous owners etc.

For sale: One Skoda. Asking Price £3000. Any takers?

Still, if youre asking for guesses, my next guess is that they are a pair from the recently made run of first ever Jesses which were made just before he destroyed the jigs. Never seen a pair myself, just heard that there was a special run being made up and sold at original prices (ie very cheap compared to the more recent models).

I make this quess not on any extensive knowledge of Jesse Panniers, but purely on your reputation.

Thanks again for the replies.

Civil, the boys do have a pretty good point. Jesses they maybe, but as a purchaser, it'd be nice to know what model, year etc.

Anyone else with suggestions? ......

:)

Regards

Colin

Re: Correction !

the civil one said:
Micko said it .
If you all know what they are not ?
Then it would not be unfair to ask you know alls what they
are ?

So where, exactly, did I say they weren't Jesse's, Oh ironically named one?

I said they are not Odysseys - and they're not. Since you are selling them, perhaps you are the one best placed to provide an accurate description...

Mike:)

FYI, this is what Odysseys look like...

3868049-L.jpg

1244017-L.jpg

......and it's no good hiding your reg plate as we all know what it is now.:D

Steve B

Re: Re: Correction !

Mike O said:
So where, exactly, did I say they weren't Jesse's, Oh ironically named one?

I said they are not Odysseys - and they're not. Since you are selling them, perhaps you are the one best placed to provide an accurate description...

Mike:)

FYI, this is what Odysseys look like...

3868049-L.jpg

1244017-L.jpg

Those panniers where so nice, I had to buy that set:D
Bit less shiny now Mike!!

So Commuter,

Help me out with my quest then.... :)

I like that rear rack thing. Is that also Jesse?
Can I fit a Givi E52 to it?
If I can, do I need a Jesse rack in that case?
Do you recommend them?
Second only to Verns?

:beerjug:

Good bit of kit

BigCol said:
So Commuter,

Help me out with my quest then.... :)

I like that rear rack thing. Is that also Jesse?
Can I fit a Givi E52 to it?
If I can, do I need a Jesse rack in that case?
Do you recommend them?
Second only to Verns?

:beerjug:

So Big Col, I run the jesses witha BWM top box, I don't think the E52 will fit number one as it will foul the lids opening, not sure though. Too be honest, I found it difficult to fill all the space last time I used the jesse and top box.

There is an arguement that these are better than Verns, I have seen both and suggest that Verns will crash better, but probably write the bike off as they are sooooo strong.

HTH, Nick

P.S I have tried most panniers now and these are the ones for me.

The black top box in Mike's picture is the pizza box I think from Jesse.

Col,

check out Al Jesse's website.

Given a no cost choice right now (having travelled extensively with both systems), I'd choose Jesse Odysseys.

Something to bear in mind - get them in silver - hot sun cooks the contents of black panniers. The box is listed in the website - it's not the 'pizza box' - I think it's listed as a tool box, or something. Email Al Jesse with any queries(about you E52, for example) - he's usually very forthcoming with advice... (you might ask him what Civil is selling, while you're at it :p)

Cheers

Mike

Back
Top Bottom