Engine bars or plastic protectors?

bonjeroo

morning,

I was thinking about fitting engine bars to my new GS but the guy at the dealership said that in the event of a tumble they can smash into the cylinder head. He recommended the plastic engine protectors instead.

Does anyone have any experience of engine bars trashing the engine?

Bonj

Mmmmmm......

Presumably your dealer has the plastic ones in stock to sell you, but not the crash bars.........?

His advice appears contrary to just about every thread I've read on this subject.

Correctly fitted steel hoop type engine bars will afford much more protection that the plastic ones which are little more than cosmetic adornment.......

Cheers

Dutch

Re: Mmmmmm......

Dutchman said:
Presumably your dealer has the plastic ones in stock to sell you, but not the crash bars.........?

His advice appears contrary to just about every thread I've read on this subject.

Correctly fitted steel hoop type engine bars will afford much more protection that the plastic ones which are little more than cosmetic adornment.......

Cheers

Dutch

Actually, he wasn't sure he had either in stock - I need to call the workshop.

I think I would prefer the engine bars as I can't see how a couple of bits of plastic will protect the engine.

Bonj

Hi

If you watch a Boxer cup race you will see that they slide on the pots and can often be picked up and carry on. Seems to me that bars would just grind and bend. So you will need to replace something whatever happens. Plastic headprotectors are probably the better option. They are what I have on my 1150GS and will put on the 1200 when it arrives.

Offroad, of course is another story!

Cheers

Quentin:)

Quentin said:
Hi

If you watch a Boxer cup race you will see that they slide on the pots and can often be picked up and carry on.

The boxer cup bikes have a carbon fibre cover over the alloy rocker cover with a titanium skid plate riveted on at the point of contact.........much more protection, methinks........

What I'd like to see is something in the style of the plastic ones but made from cast metal, but not as cumbersome as the Stanton guards available from the US........

Perhaps we'll start making them as well..................

Dutch

Dutchman said:

What I'd like to see is something in the style of the plastic ones but made from cast metal..
How about the Touratech one's?

http://www.touratech.de/shop/de/dept_806.html

I have ordered Hepco & Becker bars, they are cheaper than BMW and they seem to protect the engine a whole lot better.
If you like to be as secure as possible, go with the Touratech Alu protectors and the Hepco & Becker bars. Then you have both.

Kave said:
I have ordered Hepco & Becker bars, they are cheaper than BMW and they seem to protect the engine a whole lot better.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you by any chance have a direct link to the bars on the H&B website as I can't find them anywhere. Think I will order them instead of the BMW alternative.

Bonj

bonjeroo said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you by any chance have a direct link to the bars on the H&B website as I can't find them anywhere.

Ring Moto Bins they stock both colours Silver same as the 1200 frame and black if you prefer that colour. 01775 680881 half the price of BMW ones with an additional head hoop. Around £120 delivered.

5255890-M.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I have just ordered a set of chrome H&B bars from Moto Bins.

regards,

Bonj

BMW spend all that money saving weight and you go and stick heavy bars on it.

I put my 1150 down the road on just it's plastic guards and they held out very well.

Oh no, that's it. I am not going to mount any GPS, I am going to sell my panniers and the tank bag. Just to shave off some weight :) And I am going to ride without helmet :)

Kave,

I've been training now, for about 4 months, on how to take the biggest dump I can. You see, I do need the engine bars, as I'm a first time BMW buyer, and I'm, thus, arrogant, so I need to protect myself... and, I've decided that the biggest dump in the world is needed...

;) ;) ;)

Plastic is best

Get the plastic ones bonjeroo - much lighter & match ALL the other plastic on the bike - OOOH Bitch Bitch :D :D

Ade

gazza said:
Ring Moto Bins they stock both colours Silver same as the 1200 frame and black if you prefer that colour. 01775 680881 half the price of BMW ones with an additional head hoop. Around £120 delivered.

5255890-M.jpg

a link about these bars ??

There's also a new option for protectors:
Partno71607658.jpg

They fit perfectly with the Bmw bars

Back
Top Bottom