Off-road rides near London

Dakar69

Hi there

Im living in London, originally from South Africa, bought a Dakar about 2 months ago and looking for some nice off road trails to do that are near London, I have heard of guys talking about the Ridgeway and Boxhill but how do I get there and how how do I know what tracks im allowed to be on, I live close to the A3 or M4.

Cheers

there's not much off roading around london without travelling miles. The Ridgeway is the most obvious, but there are a few others. Check out "Off Road Routes.net" os similar. where you can buy pre-determined, legal routes for most parts of the country. Primarily aimed at 4x4s, should be good enough for the dakar!

L

Dakar69 said:
Hi there

Im living in London, originally from South Africa, bought a Dakar about 2 months ago and looking for some nice off road trails to do that are near London, I have heard of guys talking about the Ridgeway and Boxhill but how do I get there and how how do I know what tracks im allowed to be on, I live close to the A3 or M4.

Cheers

I'm in exactly the same position. South African who doesn't know a green lane from a public right of way from a byway from a etc....

I would be up for an adventure some time. Can't be too hectic, of course, as I'm on the usual R1150GS + Tourance tyres.

Can't make the Surrey meeting this weekend, unfortunately. Any weekend in August would be great.

Andy D.

theres quite a few lanes round dorking and guildford, and out towards hook on the M3 (?) theres a nice long sandy streach out there somewhere too and plenty of puddles deep enough to loose a gs in. couldnt tell you where though. but then thats all part of the fun...not done them in a while so not sure how gs friendly there are. also lots of easy stuff in herts and essex, but probably a bit far away. buy the (pink) ordenance survey map for your area and look for the boats and rupps. if you encounter any trouble, or the lanes dont look to be used, turn round, we dont want you upsetting the lokals in this day and age, weve enough problems with all the legeslation theyre trying to force through, better still join the trf, they need the money and will show you the places to go. ooh, and make sure you fall off a lot. if not youre not trying hard enough. well thats my excuse. that and the fact that im crap.

Are we allowed to ride on the Public Bridleways in the Boxhill Surrey area.

I would think not, bridleways = horses + bicycles + pedestrians I'm afraid.

You need to find a BOAT (Byway Open To All Traffic) or a RUPP (Roads Used mainly as Public Paths), check the key on the OS map for the appropriate symbols.

Even then, the legislation regarding RUPPS is ambiguous and you may or may not be allowed to ride them :confused:

Iain

Off road IN london

You can do very nice off roading IN CENTRAL London :

Try Monday morning King Road in Hammersmith.

Or, if you are really brave and experienced, try the A24 trough Clapham, Brixton, Tooting....

Re: Off road IN london

Yosi said:
You can do very nice off roading IN CENTRAL London :

Try Monday morning King Road in Hammersmith.

Or, if you are really brave and experienced, try the A24 trough Clapham, Brixton, Tooting....

Now that is SERIOUS adventure territory :rolleyes:

Howzit Dakar Nege en Sestig

Also an ex South African living in Hertfordshire. I do plenty of off road riding north of London but not very often on BMWs. You'll find it difficult in winter on a Dakar.

If a group of GSers want to select a Sunday late in November, I'd be happy to lead.

Tot siens

Dave 07932-602-372

Dakar a week on Sunday there is an opportunity to find out see here Not GS exclusive

Back
Top Bottom