Morocco May 2011

dxwalt

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in a Morocco trip between 20th and 31st May? I would like to do a reasonable amount of off road and see the sites. I have never done the trip before but how hard can it be (im sure there will be lots of help on the forum)! At this stage I am thinking I will need to make the long ride down to Spain and back unless I can find an alternative method of getting the bike down there that is quick and doesn't cost a fortune. My main limiting factor is holiday so realistically I think I will only manage 6 or 7 days in Morocco. I can flex a bit on the dates but I would like to make use of the bank holiday.
David

If you were thinking of going in May 2010, I'm afraid you've missed you chance!:blast

Thread title edited. - GM

If however you fancy doing it this year then I'm quite interested in going. My only problem is that I'm currently being shortlisted for a new job and I'm not sure I'll be able to go if I get it. If I don't get it then I would really like to do it.

I'll be going on my GSA so don't want to do anything too technical.

If you fancy reading about my last trip it's here.

Why not use the Easter/Royal Weddnig/May day bank holidays? Take 3 days holiday from work and have 11 days away :nenau

Ferrys?

Why not use the Easter/Royal Weddnig/May day bank holidays? Take 3 days holiday from work and have 11 days away :nenau

I had that very same thought but i don't think the crossings line up so it would be through France unless some one Fancy's that :nenau seems a lot of mileage for 11 days.

Maybe some one will tell me otherwise :rob

Is anyone interested in a Morocco trip between 20th and 31st May? I would like to do a reasonable amount of off road and see the sites. I have never done the trip before but how hard can it be (im sure there will be lots of help on the forum)! At this stage I am thinking I will need to make the long ride down to Spain and back unless I can find an alternative method of getting the bike down there that is quick and doesn't cost a fortune. My main limiting factor is holiday so realistically I think I will only manage 6 or 7 days in Morocco. I can flex a bit on the dates but I would like to make use of the bank holiday.
David
i am hoping to go on these dates.get in touch if you fancy going. j

rough itinery is leave plymouth sunday 17th april to santander,couple of days through spain.7 or 8 days in maroc back through spain and santander to ports mouth on monday 2nd may.never been to maroc before so an adventure for me.not making too many plans just booking the boats to and from blighty.

If you were thinking of going in May 2010, I'm afraid you've missed you chance!:blast

Thread title edited. - GM

If however you fancy doing it this year then I'm quite interested in going. My only problem is that I'm currently being shortlisted for a new job and I'm not sure I'll be able to go if I get it. If I don't get it then I would really like to do it.

I'll be going on my GSA so don't want to do anything too technical.

If you fancy reading about my last trip it's here.

I will be on a GSA also so no issues there. When do you think you might know what is happening on the job front? I had a quick look thorugh your trip report, it looks good and is the sort of trip i am after.

Hi David,

All I know is that I've been shortlisted and have been told that the interview process will start in Mid February. As soon as I hear anything I'll let you know so that you know where you are.

Cheers

Mark

I would have thought that was why you bought a GSA :nenau
Just because someone buys a GSA, doesn't mean they have to go off road or do technical trips. We buy our bikes for our own personal reasons and they may vary greatly.

I would have thought that was why you bought a GSA :nenau

Some of the tracks that I did last time were a struggle on my KTM 640 because of the height and the weight of the bike, I was fairly new to off roading at the time and I personally found it hard going.

The GSA is nearly twice the weight of the KTM and costing nearly twice as much I'm not that keen to take it on too technical a track.

Not that it's any of your business why I bought a GSA, but my main use of the bike is for my commute from my house in Dorset to where I work in London. I can do the 250 mile round trip commute on one tank of fuel, something that I couldn't do on my last bike - a K1200GT, doing 55000 in 2.5 years. Hope that's ok with the GSA police??:nenau

Some of the tracks that I did last time were a struggle on my KTM 640 because of the height and the weight of the bike, I was fairly new to off roading at the time and I personally found it hard going.

The GSA is nearly twice the weight of the KTM and costing nearly twice as much I'm not that keen to take it on too technical a track.

Not that it's any of your business why I bought a GSA, but my main use of the bike is for my commute from my house in Dorset to where I work in London. I can do the 250 mile round trip commute on one tank of fuel, something that I couldn't do on my last bike - a K1200GT, doing 55000 in 2.5 years. Hope that's ok with the GSA police??:nenau

Hi Mark,

I guess that means your on the M27/M3 same as me - I'll keep an eye out on it now Wally's got my GSA up and working a treat again. :thumb2

I'm up in Winchester at the moment.

cheers

Nick

I am also interested in this but first i have a couple of questions/concerns. A group of Moroccan novices heading off into the unknown:confused: and also would you be camping overnight or finding a room. I have no camping gear.

Regards Fozzie.

Also i now have a KTM 990 Adventure, Please be gentle.

Hi Fozzie,

Your first question about a bunch of novices riding off into the unknown is a valid one, when I went the first time I went with someone that had been before and had a rough idea of the type of piste we could do on the bikes we were taking. This forum also played a big part in our planning as there is loads of useful info' in the travel section by people like Tim Cullis etc, all of which was priceless. We also read Chris Scott's book and plotted a couple of his pistes and as luck we would have it we also bumped into Bill (Moto Morocco) on the ferry and also another guide at Algeciras port, both of whom were very free with their advice and both kept us updated during the week via SMS on the state of some of the piste. We also kept our wits about us during our trip and if things were getting sticky we came up with a plan B.

What we also did last time was to take a sleeping bag as a "just in case" and we ended up using it a couple of time in Auberge's instead of using blankets etc. Personally, I don't see the point of camping as accommodation is pretty cheap. Saying that though, I do quite fancy one or two nights camping if everyone was in agreement. It's just nice to have a shower etc after a long day on the bike.

At the moment I'm still not confirmed so these are just my ramblings!

Cheers

Mark

thanks for the reply, Im not able to go on a trip until mid june at the earliest. thats me out then, i will have to look for another venture. :(
Im really getting the urge to go on a trip to Morocco.:thumb

Regards,
Fozzie.

Hey guys. I'm kicking about the idea of Morocco in late May too- it'd be great to hook up with some other GS riders down there. I need to weigh up my finances over the next couple of months - I'll keep an eye on the thread and maybe be in touch!

I am also interested in this but first i have a couple of questions/concerns. A group of Moroccan novices heading off into the unknown:confused: and also would you be camping overnight or finding a room. I have no camping gear.

Regards Fozzie.

Also i now have a KTM 990 Adventure, Please be gentle.

I`m no great travel guru, but just go with out others or with others if your must small steps first maybe, so easy to find a room, 1 STAR to 5 STAR, anywhere in the world.

TIP: RACK RATE is a term used in the hotel industry, ask for disscount of the rack rate, makes it sound like your in the know, well you are now. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom