R1100/1150GS tool box covers

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
As many of you are aware, Vern used to offer a product like this:

img_1127.jpg

an aluminium toolbox cover fitted with security screws (in my example, security torx screws).

I have no wish to snatch Vern's business, but I had to source, design and make my own when Vern couldn't deliver during his recent crisis.

I have been asked if I can supply a copy (which I can), but it's as easy to make a dozen as it is to make one.

The fitting of the cover requires four holes to be drilled into the rear seat area for retained nuts to be fitted. Not only does this require the drilled holes to be aligned to those in the cover, but requires a special tool to fit the retained nuts.

The costs would be about £25 each (unpainted cover, security torx screws and retaining nuts) and I may be able to fit at Princetown.

Please indicate if you are interested.

Greg

I'll 'ave one. Just email when you have them ready. Can't make Princetown, will be in Spain on GS. Make sure you go to the Prison museum.

Erm.........?, how do you get at yer tools then, you need a screwdriver to get the top off which is in the tool box which you can't open because................!!!!!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:D

Marcus Shurvinton said:
Erm.........?, how do you get at yer tools then? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I just open the top-box and there they are!

This plate covers the tool-box - I didn't say that it covers the tools! For all I know, you mght keep your sandwiches in there!

:cool:

r1150gsautocomradioinstallation.jpg

Greg

Just what I've been looking for, so I'll have one too!

Whats the special tool?

Phil

Greg Masters said:
I just open the top-box and there they are!

This plate covers the tool-box - I didn't say that it covers the tools! For all I know, you mght keep your sandwiches in there!

:cool:

r1150gsautocomradioinstallation.jpg

Greg

nice wiring

bashplate said:
Whats the special tool?

The plate bolts to the bike using security torx screws like this:

imagewrap.gif

This is a countersunk screw, whereas I've used dome headed screws - either way you'll need a tamper-proof torx bit or key like these to open the cover.

The screws fix to one of four captive Rivnuts - these have to be drilled and rivetted into place using a Rivnut tool (which I can borrow).

Does that help?

Greg

>Does that help?

Sure does. Rivnut was the clue. Presumably you have access to a tool something similar to the one on http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/id23.htm
If you can borrow the tool I'm sure I can get to Enfield. Its not exactly a million miles from N.Herts.

Phil

Phil

That'd be good.

I'll get a few plates made up in feck-off thickness aluminium footplate and I'll give you a shout when they are done. I'm not sure how much they will be until I've commissioned the job.

I'll also get a load of Rivnuts and Tamper-proof torx bolts (I think that they are M6 - but don't rush out and buy a Torx key until I have confirmed the size).

When you get the plate, you'll need to pad out the inside. As I have the Autocom units in my tool box, I was able to use a few strips of self-adhesive foam which I also used to line the perimeter.

If you intend to paint the plate, you need some fairly aggressive primer as ally doesn't take paint too well.

Greg

Phil, Greg - thanks for the last two posts, very informative. And the link to the Rivnut website was cool. Cheers guys. Will speak to my contact at the local engineers and see if they have a "gun" thing for application.

I have a small number of these toolbox covers left. They are unpainted and come with tamper-proof Torx fittings.

I can fit them at Princetown - £20 a time.

Any takers? (If not, I'll not bother lugging them and the fitting tools down!)

PM me

Greg

Back
Top Bottom